Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I remove email from an Apple ID? and reuse the same email to create another Apple ID?

I have an Apple ID registered with my personal email and I no longer want to use it or cant use the account anymore. But I want to create a new Apple ID using the same personal email. I tried removing the email from the Apple ID by logging in and change the apple ID email to my work email. But when I tried to register a new apple id using my personal email, it says "This Email address is not available".

Posted on Sep 6, 2017 1:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2017 2:07 AM

As I understand it you have removed the old address which was your Apple ID and login, and are using a different address as the login. (Doing this will not affect any purchases which remain with the ID, which is the same even though its name has been changed. As said above, you can't transfer them to the new ID.)

The address you removed may eventually become available to use elsewhere - I can't absolutely verify this but there are suggestions that after a delay (I would guess 30 days but that's a pure guess) it will become available; so wait for a month and try again. You could use another address in the interim then change it later.

You say 'can't use the account any more' - you mean the iCloud account? If you mean the account which provides the address in question, when you create an Apple ID it must be with a functioning address.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2017 2:07 AM in response to Tz29

As I understand it you have removed the old address which was your Apple ID and login, and are using a different address as the login. (Doing this will not affect any purchases which remain with the ID, which is the same even though its name has been changed. As said above, you can't transfer them to the new ID.)

The address you removed may eventually become available to use elsewhere - I can't absolutely verify this but there are suggestions that after a delay (I would guess 30 days but that's a pure guess) it will become available; so wait for a month and try again. You could use another address in the interim then change it later.

You say 'can't use the account any more' - you mean the iCloud account? If you mean the account which provides the address in question, when you create an Apple ID it must be with a functioning address.

Sep 6, 2017 1:51 AM in response to Tz29

Can I remove email from an Apple ID? and reuse the same email to create another Apple ID?

Yes you can. The email address is not available because it remains associated with your previous Apple ID.

The solution is to log in to https://appleid.apple.com/ with your old Apple ID, and remove that email address from it. That address can be any one of those shown beneath "Reachable At". Click the Edit button to remove it.

Sep 6, 2017 8:35 AM in response to John Galt

In this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6427949?start=0&tstart=0

it's reported that you can re-use an email address after 30 days. (Note that when the thread started several years ago this wasn't possible, so earlier posts state that, but at least one person seems to have had success. See the post by User__11 of October 16 2016 ('link to post' doesn't work).

Sep 6, 2017 1:59 AM in response to Tz29

Please realize that everything, any content that you acquired, paid or free with the old Apple ID stays with that Apple ID, even if you use the same email address to create a new Apple ID. The content is licensed to the old Apple ID, whatever you change the email address to.

Apple does not transfer content from one Apple ID to another. Apple does not merge Apple IDs.

Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.12.6;  Watch, watchOS 3.2.3; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6+, iOS 10.3.3; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 10.2.1;  Airport Express

Sep 6, 2017 2:26 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hi Roger, Yes, When I changed the log in email. The old email from "reachable at" list went away automatically as well. I guess I'll just have to wait it out for abit for the system to get updated.

It's not the icloud issue. This ID was created when I was in the US during college. But now that I moved back to my country, it's inconvenient to keep using the US store. I tried changing the country from the account managment, but my country is not listed in the option. But somehow recently, it became available in the option if I am creating a new ID.

Sep 6, 2017 8:13 AM in response to Tz29

Could it be just that I need to give it some time for apple to remove the old email from the system?

That is possible, but waiting more than a couple of hours isn't likely to change anything.

Without knowing the particular email address you wish to use though, it is difficult for me to speculate regarding the reason it is not available. Please do not reveal that email address (or any other) on this website (or any other). I do not want that information and knowing it could not help anyway.

To pursue fixing the problem on your own, you can try typing that email address into this web page: Recover Your Apple ID - Apple. A useful result would be "<...> is not an Apple ID". If it is an Apple ID, the next page will ask you how you would like recover your password or security questions. The outcome would be helpful information, so let me know what you determine.

Otherwise, you will need to ask Apple for assistance with your Apple ID: Contact Support, Select a product (doesn't matter which), and then select Apple ID & Password. Proceed from there.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.