Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Was my computer compromised? Screenleap on my computer

I did a migration from my old macbook air 2012 to my knew macbook pro just purchased last week using time machine. When I looked through my user group, I noticed in my login items that there was this program called screenleap which seemed odd as I didn't recognize the name and wondered why it would be in my start-up login items. So I googled it and came across this post:

Re: Am I being hacked? Screenleap is on my computer. I never installed it.

I am trying to determine if I have been compromised. I haven't noticed that any of my accounts have been compromised. No weird logins to my gmail. But I am naturally concerned. I did run the diagnostics program and here is the link:

Paste Test - Pastebin.com

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), Migration from Macbook Air to Pro

Posted on Sep 6, 2017 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2017 9:09 AM

Screenleap is screen sharing or online meeting software. If you don't use it, uninstall it.

http://www.screenleap.com/desktop-screen-share

If you never installed this, then did anyone have physical access to your Mac?

EDIT: Also uninstall Avast. No anti-virus or so-called "cleaning' apps are necessary or recommended for Mac OS. They can interfere with Mac's own built-in security and bork you system.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2017 9:09 AM in response to MannyNYC

Screenleap is screen sharing or online meeting software. If you don't use it, uninstall it.

http://www.screenleap.com/desktop-screen-share

If you never installed this, then did anyone have physical access to your Mac?

EDIT: Also uninstall Avast. No anti-virus or so-called "cleaning' apps are necessary or recommended for Mac OS. They can interfere with Mac's own built-in security and bork you system.

Sep 7, 2017 2:27 PM in response to MannyNYC

MannyNYC wrote:

Ok thanks for the info and help. I did not realize that Mac had internal security protections.

I will uninstall Avast and Screenleap.

It has internal security, but it can't protect you from yourself. There are download sites that bundle garbage with legitimate apps (Softonic, cnet, even MacUpdate) so that you end up installing adware when you think you are just installing an app. Phony Flash update notices are another way that your System can be infected with adware or worse. If you have Flash installed, you should only update using the Flash panel in System Preferences.

Was my computer compromised? Screenleap on my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.