Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change my phone number associated with my apple id

How do I change my phone number that is connected to my apple id

Posted on Sep 6, 2017 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2017 1:25 PM

You can change or add "Reachable at" numbers in the Account section; you can add or change two-factor authentication numbers in the Security section.

14 replies

Nov 13, 2017 7:00 PM in response to skeeer38

skeeer38 wrote:

Ok FoxFifth,

This did not work for me because I can't get past 2 factor authentication because the old phone number is where they are sending the code..

Last night, I embarked on an odyssey where all I wanted to do was change the phone number associated with my Apple ID since I no longer have that iPhone number and I have screwed everything up.

The original question was about a completely different situation. For security reasons you cannot change phone numbers when you don't have access to your Apple ID account page -- i.e., you need to keep the numbers up to date while you have access.

From my understanding of your post, you only had 1 trusted device (your old iPhone) and only 1 trusted phone number (the phone number associated with your old iPhone) and you didn't move your previous phone number to your new phone and your new phone wasn't a trusted device because you didn't use the same Apple ID to set it up.

As an aside, it occurs to me that while Apple requires that you set up a minimum of a trusted device and a trusted phone number they may not insure that those are not related to the same device and it may not be possible for them to know that. After you regain access you may want to make sure that you have multiple devices or phone numbers. The numbers can be any number including non-Apple cell phones or even landlines and could be the number of a friend.

In any event, if you cannot sign in, see the following from Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

If I can't sign in, how do I regain access to my account?

If you can’t sign in, reset your password, or receive verification codes, you can request account recovery to regain access to your account. Account recovery is an automatic process designed to get you back in to your account as quickly as possible while denying access to anyone who might be pretending to be you. It might take a few days—or longer—depending on what specific account information you can provide to verify your identity.

The detailed instructions are at Recover your Apple ID with two-factor authentication account recovery - Apple Support

Nov 13, 2017 6:04 PM in response to FoxFifth

Ok FoxFifth,

This did not work for me because I can't get past 2 factor authentication because the old phone number is where they are sending the code..

Last night, I embarked on an odyssey where all I wanted to do was change the phone number associated with my Apple ID since I no longer have that iPhone number and I have screwed everything up.

I had created a new, different Apple ID for the new iPhone because I didn't know you could use the same one on both devices. So I searched this support site for what to do to change the Apple ID on one of my accounts to start using just the main one (the one associated with my old iPhone since that is the one where all my purchases are) After spending a whole evening reading this site, I followed someone's instructions and signed OUT of iTunes (old account which I want to keep) I also signed OUT of iCloud on my MacBook Air. Now I can no longer use this account at all because the old phone number is attached to it and I can't get past 2 factor authentication. So, I am answering this thread because this was the issue at hand today after last nights nightmare. I am signed in right now on the new Apple ID but I want to use the old one since it has all my purchases for several years on it. What in the world do I need to do to sign back in to that account and get past the authentication code? PS - in the event it matters, my old apple ID (and also the new one) do not end in icloud.com. They both are 3rd party email addresses that are both valid and active.

Nov 15, 2017 10:59 AM in response to skeeer38

skeeer38 wrote:

I read the link you sent and I have not forgot my Apple ID, or my password. I can't log in because of the 2 factor ID issue, the phone number receiving it is no longer valid. I saw something about using Security questions... would that help?

If you have two-factor turned on you don't (or cannot) have any security questions associated with your account.

Jan 9, 2018 6:56 PM in response to FoxFifth

You can’t. Because your trusted phone number is wrong or doesn’t exist anymore. When you try to log in, it will send you verification codes to th wrong number so you can’t even log in. It’s a catch22 weird Apple didn’t think of this eventuality, which is probably common.

I am now stuck and unable to access my iCloud

Jan 9, 2018 7:01 PM in response to FoxFifth

I have requested account recovery and guess what, Apple sent me a link that when clicked asks me to log in to my appleID and then proceeds to send me verification codes to the wrong number again! It’s almost funny.

The reason my trusted phone number is wrong is because Apple added an extra country code to the number so I now have 2 country codes in a row making the number wrong.

What do I do to regain access then?

Jan 9, 2018 7:02 PM in response to Gorzul

Gorzul wrote:

You can’t. Because your trusted phone number is wrong or doesn’t exist anymore. When you try to log in, it will send you verification codes to th wrong number so you can’t even log in. It’s a catch22 weird Apple didn’t think of this eventuality, which is probably common.

I am now stuck and unable to access my iCloud

Did you read my November 13, 2007 reply above (i.e., my second reply)?

Jan 9, 2018 7:56 PM in response to FoxFifth

Indeed i have. And I’ve replied to it too.

No matter what you do you can’t get back into your iCloud because your trusted phone number is wrong. I tried many different things. I only have one trusted phone number (apparently) and it’s logged into this device only. Although I have 7 Apple devices I never realized the trusted phone number was a “thing”, in fact never even noticed my iCloud was associated to a phone number at all.

But anyway, being as it is, I’m really not sure how to recover my account and if it’s at all possible. It’s frankly baffling that Apple with their trillions couldn’t come up with a solution to this eventuality. Quite frustrating.

How do I change my phone number associated with my apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.