Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod Touch battery drains quickly unless being used

I have an iPod Touch (5th Gen). Ever since a lengthy car trip, during which I played podcasts for hours, my Touch no longer holds a charge unless I am using it. Actually using the iPod seems to slow the drain. If I'm not using it, it drains quickly, losing its charge within a couple hours or less. If I turn the iPod off completely, even at full charge, it will show no battery when I turn it back on, regardless of whether I turn it back on immediately or days later.

I did not update the software around the time this began. I've searched for help with this, but I can't seem to find anyone else whose battery drain is slowed by actual use, or a possible fix for this. Any insight as to what's going on?

iPod touch, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 6, 2017 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2017 11:45 AM

Have you tried any of these battery saving tips?

Turn Brightness down on your iPod's screen

Turn off Bluetooth when NOT using a Bluetooth device.

Turn OFF Background App Refresh.

Turn ON Reduced motion

Make sure you have iOS Mail app set to fetch mail less often OR set it to only manual fetch when you launch or access the iOS Mail app.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2017 11:45 AM in response to Belleliz

Have you tried any of these battery saving tips?

Turn Brightness down on your iPod's screen

Turn off Bluetooth when NOT using a Bluetooth device.

Turn OFF Background App Refresh.

Turn ON Reduced motion

Make sure you have iOS Mail app set to fetch mail less often OR set it to only manual fetch when you launch or access the iOS Mail app.

Sep 7, 2017 10:41 AM in response to Belleliz

Hey there, Belleliz.

After reviewing your post, it appears that the battery of your iPod touch drains more quickly when it's not being used.

About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- You can use this article to determine which application(s) or service(s) are using the most power.

Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan -- This article contains great general and specific steps you can take to maximize your iPod's battery life. Don't neglect "Tips for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch" for steps specific for your iPod. After you apply any step, test your device's battery for a bit and report back your findings.

Let me what you find and take care!

Sep 7, 2017 2:45 PM in response to Belleliz

An iPod Touch 5th gen CANNOT be upgraded to iOS 10 much less iOS 10.3.3.

What iPod Touch do you have?

An iPod Touch 5 can only be upgraded to iOS 9.3.5.

Did you purchase a newer iPod Touch?

Have you tried a hard reset of your iPod by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPod goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons?

Good Luck!

Ipod Touch battery drains quickly unless being used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.