Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro space gray palm rest discolored

My MacBook Pro (late 2016, touchbar) is 9 months old and the space grey top case is starting to fade to silver where my hand most frequently rests. Anyone else experiencing this discoloration? Is there anything I can do to prevent it from spreading?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016)

Posted on Sep 6, 2017 8:36 PM

3 replies

Sep 28, 2017 10:27 PM in response to metroline

Three weeks later—the top case edge (directly below the discoloration) has begun small corrosion and pitting of the aluminum. The protective finish seems to have just worn off.I'm super bummed out because I know this sort of problem only gets worse over time. Pretty sure finishes and cosmetic issues aren't under warranty, so at this point I might try to call Apple see if they can recommend anything to protect it from further progression. My worry is anything 'protective' added to the top case could risk scratching the screen when closed.

User uploaded file

Sep 30, 2017 10:05 PM in response to babowa

I understand that, but it's odd. My 6 year old MacBook Air was used way more frequently, but not pitting. Must be a different type of coating on the new MacBook Pro. Oddly the pitting is only in an area where my arm touches, not my palm. The space grey discoloration seems just from wear across the area when typing. What annoys me is the computer is only 9 months old.

MacBook Pro space gray palm rest discolored

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.