Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to encrypt a folder

I have some bank login details I wish to put in a folder and access via a password for security reasons and wondered how i could do that ?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12), apple tv, mini iPad

Posted on Sep 7, 2017 5:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2017 6:03 AM

Hi Angloargie:

See the following to make a password protected folder:

You can make a password-protected disk image, that starts out small but increases in size as you put files into it.

To make an encrypted Sparse Disk Image:

Open Disk Utility and select File > New Image > Blank Image.

User uploaded file

In the popup under Save As, give the sparse image file a name. i.e. “My Secret Stuff”.

This filename will be what you double-click on to make the virtual disk appear.

Under Name, give it a name like “My Secret Stuff” or something different if your prefer.

From the Size pop-up menu, choose the maximum size this disk image can grow to.

The disk image starts out small and slowly increases in size as necessary up to the max. size.

From the Format pop-up menu, choose OS X Extended (Journaled)

From the Encryption popup menu, choose one of the two encryption methods that will password protect your disk image. The recommended is “128-bit AES encryption”.

From the Partitions pop-up menu, choose Single partition - GUID Partition Map

From the Image Format pop-up menu, choose “sparse disk image”.

Click Create. Make up a password (type it twice). Then click Create.

User uploaded file

Now on your desktop should be a disk image file with the ending “sparseimage” .

It will occupy xx MB on your hard disk to start with.

Double-click on it and enter your password to open the encrypted virtual disk on your desktop. You can know put private files in the disk image. The sparse image will grow in size automatically as you add files to it.

See the following video from Macworld:

Macworld - How to protect your Mac’s most secret stuff with an encrypted disk image:

How to protect your Mac's secret files with an encrypted disk image

Kim

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2017 6:03 AM in response to angloargie

Hi Angloargie:

See the following to make a password protected folder:

You can make a password-protected disk image, that starts out small but increases in size as you put files into it.

To make an encrypted Sparse Disk Image:

Open Disk Utility and select File > New Image > Blank Image.

User uploaded file

In the popup under Save As, give the sparse image file a name. i.e. “My Secret Stuff”.

This filename will be what you double-click on to make the virtual disk appear.

Under Name, give it a name like “My Secret Stuff” or something different if your prefer.

From the Size pop-up menu, choose the maximum size this disk image can grow to.

The disk image starts out small and slowly increases in size as necessary up to the max. size.

From the Format pop-up menu, choose OS X Extended (Journaled)

From the Encryption popup menu, choose one of the two encryption methods that will password protect your disk image. The recommended is “128-bit AES encryption”.

From the Partitions pop-up menu, choose Single partition - GUID Partition Map

From the Image Format pop-up menu, choose “sparse disk image”.

Click Create. Make up a password (type it twice). Then click Create.

User uploaded file

Now on your desktop should be a disk image file with the ending “sparseimage” .

It will occupy xx MB on your hard disk to start with.

Double-click on it and enter your password to open the encrypted virtual disk on your desktop. You can know put private files in the disk image. The sparse image will grow in size automatically as you add files to it.

See the following video from Macworld:

Macworld - How to protect your Mac’s most secret stuff with an encrypted disk image:

How to protect your Mac's secret files with an encrypted disk image

Kim

Sep 8, 2017 4:56 AM in response to angloargie

Hi Angloargie:

When you first create it, it will be open. Right click on the "My Secret Stuff" on your desktop and select Edject.

Then go into your Documents folder and look for the file called "My Secret Stuff".

If you cannot find it start Finder and select find under file menu. Under search select "My Secret Stuff".

Under Kind select Name, matches, My Secret Stuff.

User uploaded file

I found mine in the documents directory.

Select it by left clicking on it and at the bottom of the window it will show you its location.

Kim

Sep 8, 2017 1:23 AM in response to KimUserName

Unfortunately something didnt quite work.In the popup you mention , the "where" did not give me desktop as an option , documents appeared so I left it at that .Unfortunately the disk image file ending with sparseimage does not appear there either.Instead I have what looks like a disk image called "My Secret Stuff" on my desktop.I can open that but it does not give me the option to enter a password

Sep 8, 2017 7:43 AM in response to angloargie

Hi Angloargie:

[Edit] For the original you have on your desktop, you should be able to right click on it and eject it.

You may be getting confused because both the encrypted drive and the folder have the same name.

It will behave just like an external drive.

If you copy a file to it, the original will still be there. If you move it, the original will be deleted.

When you want to close the encrypted drive, you must eject it.

Kim

how to encrypt a folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.