Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sierra no more support HFS standard format.

I heard Sierra no more support HFS standard format but My MacBook Air 2014 and MacBook 2017 are able to mount a disc was formatted HFS Standard. Any info for the issue? My both computers are installed 10.12.6.

MacBook (Retina,12-inch,2017), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 7, 2017 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2017 6:37 PM

hkjazz wrote:

Thank you for your reply. So Sierra still can mount standard HFS file format but it only supports HFS+ file systems unless using the terminal command?

NO. I was just pointing to documentation on the Mac that specifies that standard HFS is supported.

All those GUI features often times are using command line features under the covers. Since the GUI does not come with a lot of documentation, you can often times find out useful information by looking at the command line 'man' pages for commands that perform similar functions to what the GUI does.

That is all that I did. I looked at the man pages for the command line equivalents to the GUI operations.

If you attach a standard HFS formatted disk, or double-click on a standard HFS formatted .dmg, it will mount just like an HFS+ or FAT, or exFAT, or NTFS, etc...

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2017 6:37 PM in response to hkjazz

hkjazz wrote:

Thank you for your reply. So Sierra still can mount standard HFS file format but it only supports HFS+ file systems unless using the terminal command?

NO. I was just pointing to documentation on the Mac that specifies that standard HFS is supported.

All those GUI features often times are using command line features under the covers. Since the GUI does not come with a lot of documentation, you can often times find out useful information by looking at the command line 'man' pages for commands that perform similar functions to what the GUI does.

That is all that I did. I looked at the man pages for the command line equivalents to the GUI operations.

If you attach a standard HFS formatted disk, or double-click on a standard HFS formatted .dmg, it will mount just like an HFS+ or FAT, or exFAT, or NTFS, etc...

Sep 7, 2017 6:16 PM in response to hkjazz

See Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal -> man mount_hfs

mount_hfs -- mount an HFS/HFS+ file system

So the mount command can handle HFS and HFS+ file systems.

But the Disk Utility GUI is not interested in creating plain HFS file systems. It just wants to create HFS+ with journaled file systems, or FAT and exFAT Windows file systems.

There are additional file system formats that the Terminal 'diskutil' command can create, but none of them are the standard HFS file formats.

What Disk Utility will create does not say anything about what macOS can mount and read and maybe write.

Sierra no more support HFS standard format.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.