📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do my messages go to all my devices? Can I turn it off? And use it without it being connected to my phone iCloud

I use my iCloud on my iPhone and iPad so I guess they automatically link together? I'm wondering if I leave my iPad with my daughter how do I know she can use text messaging so she can get ahold of me.? and at the same time NoT get my iPhone text messages. It has its own service BUT BOTH DEVICES Get my texts i do not want her to see! I turn it off in the settings of(iMessage)so my iPad is getting NO text messages at All.😜 Is there a way to get a text message application on the App Store. I know that you can turn off messaging In like messanger on Facebook BUT I Don't Have AND I Don't WANT EITHER CAN You HELP. I DO Not have internet at home my iPhone and iPad both are on the same plan through verizion wireless. They NEVER BACK UP THEY BOTH SAY LTE by the strength bars.

I need HELP PLEASE. ( wi-Fi and the messaging text messaging I want something she can use, and also have access get ahold of me. I don't want her or anyone else that uses my iPad to see them. is there a lock or something.? you can't get any text messages at all if I turn iMessage ofF on my iPad. So how can I do this so if I leave my house , leave my iPad I need to know she/they can get ahold of me ?

iPad Mini Wi-Fi, iOS 10.0.3

Posted on Sep 8, 2017 10:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2017 11:15 AM

Hi Ericksons. If your iPad is receiving your SMS messages, that's because you have enabled Text Message Forwarding on your phone, and the iPad is in Bluetooth range. You can turn it off on the phone in Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding. Even though your iPad has cell data service, it cannot send/receive SMS on the voice network. Its cell service is for internet access only.

For iMessages, sent to your Apple ID (email), the situation is different. All devices logged in to Messages using your Apple ID will receive those messages. You may be able to logout of Messages on the iPad and have your daughter login with her Apple ID. You can create one if she doesn't have one.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 8, 2017 11:15 AM in response to Ericksons

Hi Ericksons. If your iPad is receiving your SMS messages, that's because you have enabled Text Message Forwarding on your phone, and the iPad is in Bluetooth range. You can turn it off on the phone in Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding. Even though your iPad has cell data service, it cannot send/receive SMS on the voice network. Its cell service is for internet access only.

For iMessages, sent to your Apple ID (email), the situation is different. All devices logged in to Messages using your Apple ID will receive those messages. You may be able to logout of Messages on the iPad and have your daughter login with her Apple ID. You can create one if she doesn't have one.

Sep 8, 2017 11:01 AM in response to Ericksons

The devices do not link together, and iCloud has no involvement in messaging (SMS or iMessage)

The iPad requires that the iPhone be within bluetooth range so that it can get messages of either type. So if your daughter takes only one device it will have to be the iPhone or she wont get messages.

But the iPad can receive iMessages from another Apple device. No text (SMS) messages though.

Do my messages go to all my devices? Can I turn it off? And use it without it being connected to my phone iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.