Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 3 - Activation Failed & No AirPlay after restore

Restored an Apple TV 3 last night that has been perfectly functioning since the day I bought years ago.

After the restore everything works as it did before - with the exception of AirPlay.

So I restored it again, and again, and again, using WiFi and Wired networks.

Restored via iTunes. Tried a hotspot from my iPhone also.

Doesn't matter how I try to combat this problem I now have, nothing seems to get it activated or airplay working again.

No activation = no AirPlay?

Posted on Sep 8, 2017 5:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2018 11:01 AM

Hi Diana.McCall,

this hint saved me hours of continuous password and activation code entry. If Apple could please respond and fix this, as it is really not the level of necessary user entertainment. Thanks!

5 replies

Sep 8, 2017 7:03 PM in response to Thomas-M

Hi. You probably do need to activate the Apple TV. If you're using 2-factor authentication, try the method in this link: Re: appleTV keeps asking for appleID, password and authentication code circularly when logging in with your Apple ID. The trick is to request the code and add it directly to your password, no space or punctuation.

And remember to enable AirPlay in Settings.

Apple TV 3 - Activation Failed & No AirPlay after restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.