Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is a clean install of iOS recommended or better than simply 'updating'? Or is this a myth?

Hello guys, I'm asking this question because I couldn't find any concrete answers/evidence on the internet. I'm planning on updating to iOS11 on both my iPad and iPhone when it releases later this month. I've heard that a Clean Install will 'wipe out' old files and leave an iPhone or iPad running new. On the flip side I've heard that updating is perfectly fine and that iOS replaces the old version, leaving no old files behind (except user data of course). I've also heard that this concern of the OS being 'clean' stems from the old PC days of upgrading Windows and isn't applicable anymore.

I have a couple questions if any of you guys can answer them...

Is there any word from Apple or those of you who are tech savvy that can back up any of these claims from a technical standpoint?

Which one do you prefer and why?

I just want my devices to be as glitch-free and running as smooth as possible. Thanks

iPhone SE, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 9, 2017 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2017 7:59 PM

Emphatically, yes.

Just last week New York Times technology reporter Brian X Chen recommended clean resets for curing a host of ills with new OS releases (iOS, Android, Windows, etc.) in an article entitled A New Phone Comes Out. Yours Slows Down. A Conspiracy? No. (published 11/15/2017, at https://nyti.ms/2hDdk0j).

The article says, amazingly, that most new OS releases are tested on devices with clean installs. Which of course begs the question: why doesn't Apple test devices with their default over-the-air upgrade method? Or at least publicly recommend clean installs for their devices, especially when users experience issues? I've been having all sorts of issues with iOS 11 on my iPhone 6s since its release, and so has just about everybody I know.

FWIW the article suggests an alternative to the clean install to try first, if you like: A Settings reset (Settings / General / Reset / Reset All Settings) as well. Be warned though, that although stuff in your keychain will be saved, pretty much every setting (sounds, locations, alarms, etc. etc.) will be wiped clean. I did a Settings reset a week ago, and the multiple-times-a-day complete phone freezes (requiring a hard reset to bring the phone back from the dead) and many other issues seemed to go away... Until today, when it bricked up on me again. I used to think so well of Apple... (sigh).

I just did a clean install myself. I'll report back here if I continue having issues.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2017 7:59 PM in response to jrozo92

Emphatically, yes.

Just last week New York Times technology reporter Brian X Chen recommended clean resets for curing a host of ills with new OS releases (iOS, Android, Windows, etc.) in an article entitled A New Phone Comes Out. Yours Slows Down. A Conspiracy? No. (published 11/15/2017, at https://nyti.ms/2hDdk0j).

The article says, amazingly, that most new OS releases are tested on devices with clean installs. Which of course begs the question: why doesn't Apple test devices with their default over-the-air upgrade method? Or at least publicly recommend clean installs for their devices, especially when users experience issues? I've been having all sorts of issues with iOS 11 on my iPhone 6s since its release, and so has just about everybody I know.

FWIW the article suggests an alternative to the clean install to try first, if you like: A Settings reset (Settings / General / Reset / Reset All Settings) as well. Be warned though, that although stuff in your keychain will be saved, pretty much every setting (sounds, locations, alarms, etc. etc.) will be wiped clean. I did a Settings reset a week ago, and the multiple-times-a-day complete phone freezes (requiring a hard reset to bring the phone back from the dead) and many other issues seemed to go away... Until today, when it bricked up on me again. I used to think so well of Apple... (sigh).

I just did a clean install myself. I'll report back here if I continue having issues.

Sep 9, 2017 6:11 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

Well that's reassuring. Maybe I'm still scarred from the old days of upgrading XP to Vista, or Vista to 7 and having a bunch of issues... 😉

And yet I find iOS articles like this one that confuse me further..

'A clean installation of any software ensures that you get the maximum performance related benefits from it. An over the air installation builds on top of what’s already there. Meaning things can get quite buggy in a lot of cases.'

http://wccftech.com/clean-install-ios-11-beta-iphone-ipad/

What do you mean by user data that has been added? How could user data cause issues? Sorry, just trying to understand. 🙂

Sep 9, 2017 6:20 PM in response to jrozo92

User data = anything you download/install on top of the base iOS system. Mainly third party apps. If one or more such apps frequently crash, for example, that could cause performance issues. That's not caused by iOS but by those apps.

If you're running iOS 10.3 or later, go to Settings > Privacy > Analytics > Analytics Data to view current crash and diagnostic reports.

Is a clean install of iOS recommended or better than simply 'updating'? Or is this a myth?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.