Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine dated backups not accessible

MacBook Pro 13,3 – 2016 – Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra). I use Time Machine (TM) on an external HD 1TB, directly connected (USB-C). I recently used Migration Assistant to move my whole system from my previous MacBook Pro 8,2 – late 2011, also running Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra). I inadvertently used as new name for the system device (now SSD of course) Macintosh HD, whereas the old system device (spinning HD of course) was MyName HD.

When I mounted the TM HD, I responded "Inherit old backups".

After a couple of days I tried to go back in TM history. While the backups prior to the date/time of the Migration still show up as existing, and the dated folders do exist on the TM HD, they are greyed out and inaccessible.

Using Finder, the individual dated backup folders on the TM HD prior to the Migration are called

Backups.backupdb/mynewcomputername/date-time/MyName HD

while those since the Migration are called

Backups.backupdb/mynewcomputername/date-time/Macintosh HD

This likely explains why the prior backups are inaccessible.

So I tried to fix this by renaming my new system device from Macintosh HD to MyName HD. Still didn't help. So I forced a TM backup, and then looked again. Now the dated backup folders:

• prior to Migration are still called MyName HD, and still inaccessible

• since Migration, except for the most recent (forced) backup, still called Macintosh HD, and still accessible

• the most recent (forced) backup now called MyName HD, and is accessible.

So I can still not access the older pre-Migration backups.

I'd appreciate any suggestions using Finder (renaming folders ? – unlikely) or more likely using Terminal commands to InheritBackup or AssociateDisk or other, how to re-attach the backup folders prior to the Migration to the TM accessibility.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), MacBook Pro 13,3 2016

Posted on Sep 11, 2017 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2017 1:49 AM

Eric,

That was a fast answer – and it worked! All the dated backup folders are now accessible. It seems to be a permanent fix, I rebooted the Mac and all the dated backup folders are still available. Very efficient, thanks a lot.

I'm curious to read the source that documents this simple shift – command – c and perhaps other useful commands for TM, can you point me in the right direction? I found nothing on the link to Linc Davis.

Thanks again,

Gordon

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2017 1:49 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric,

That was a fast answer – and it worked! All the dated backup folders are now accessible. It seems to be a permanent fix, I rebooted the Mac and all the dated backup folders are still available. Very efficient, thanks a lot.

I'm curious to read the source that documents this simple shift – command – c and perhaps other useful commands for TM, can you point me in the right direction? I found nothing on the link to Linc Davis.

Thanks again,

Gordon

Time Machine dated backups not accessible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.