Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Documents Folder in Finder

A few weeks back I noticed that my "Documents" folder was not listed on my side panel under "Favorites" anymore like it always had been. Now it is listed down below under the "iCloud" section below favorites, but it is not complete. I have really poor quality internet so things do not always end up in the iCloud for me. I can see the documents if I go to "All My Files" but that is not very helpful when I am looking for something specific. How do I get this specific folder back under favorites?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 11, 2017 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2017 11:30 AM

Open a Finder window, then press Command ⌘ + shift + G to open the "Go to folder" prompt. Type in a tilde ~ symbol, which represents your user directory, then click Go. Now, drag the Documents folder back into the sidebar.

10 replies

Sep 11, 2017 11:42 AM in response to GunnarC1967

You must have enabled the iCloud Drive somehow and selected Desktop and Documents to be synced to the iCloud Drive and other devices with the same iCD options enabled:

User uploaded file

which puts the Desktop and Documents on the iCloud Drive with copies in your User/Home/Library/Mobile Documents folder.

User uploaded file

So copy those items out of the Mobile Documents folder to somewhere other than the Desktop or Documents folder and then de-select the Desktop and Documents option under iCloud Drive. Once those items are removed from the drive and the Mobile Documents folder you can move the files back to the Desktop and Documents folder as appropriate.

User uploaded file

Sep 11, 2017 1:18 PM in response to GunnarC1967

NOTE: In Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

For Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring up this window:

User uploaded file

Dec 19, 2017 10:48 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

As already mentioned, you have enabled Desktop & Documents in iCloud drive.

However, the instructions you were given to reverse the option are incorrect. Don't unhide anything. Don't try to create new Desktop and Documents folders. Don't freak out.

The Folders and Files in them were not moved into Mobile Documents.

The "move" was all Finder tricks to make you think they were moved.

To disable Desktop & Documents:

Disable the option in iCloud Drive options in iCloud System Prefs.

It will warn you that the files will not be available on your Mac, only in iCloud Drive--that's ok.

Open each of the Desktop and Documents folders that are shown in iCloud Drive.

Drag the contents of each folder to the now empty Desktop and Documents folders in your Home folder.

It will warn you that the files will no longer be available on iCloud Drive--again, that's ok.

How it works:

When you enable the feature, Finder stops displaying the Desktop and Documents folders in your home folder. It instead shows them in iCloud Drive. The folders and the files were not moved, no links were made. The files were uploaded to iCloud Drive.

When you disable Desktop & Documents, hard links to the files are created in the Mobile Documents folder that holds the iCloud Desktop and Documents folders. This process is extremely fast because it is only creating a reference to the location on disk*.

When you drag the files out of iCloud Drive, it creates hard links back in the Home folder and removes the reference in iCloud Drive folder. Again, an extremely fast process as no actual bytes were moved or downloaded.

*A hard link is indistinguishable from the actual file because it is a reference to the inode on the disk.

When you delete one of the Hard Links (or even the original file), the reference count is checked and if it is greater than 1, the reference is deleted from the file system table, but the data still exists and all other references remain valid.

Sep 11, 2017 6:37 PM in response to macjack

Sorry, wasn't referring to yours, but even the linked document doesn't provide some of the necessary details which when left out cause people to freak out. The minutia I posted isn't necessary, but the warnings that arise when you turn it off and when you move the files are disconcerting to a lot of people. Explaining what will happen helps calm some.

Missing Documents Folder in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.