Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does third party screen repair still void the Apple warranty?

I recently upgraded to an iPhone 6 after using my trusty 5C for four years. That thing got dropped so many times, landed in the toilet and was still working great. I was talked into a free upgrade. New phone works great but dropped after having it only one week (case still being shipped, phone was unprotected) and screen is cracked beyond use. Phone is otherwise working fine. Apple in Canada charges $170 to fix, trusty third party shop charges $100 but I've heard it voids the Apple warranty. I read an article today released in February of this year which states Apple has changed this rule. https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/25/iphone-warranty-third-party-screen/

Does anyone know for sure if this is true? I can't afford to shell out $100, let alone $170 and would have never gotten my upgrade if it hadn't been free.

Thanks for your help!!

iPhone 6

Posted on Sep 12, 2017 11:26 AM

4 replies

Sep 12, 2017 12:00 PM in response to Mindeelynn

No, I don’t believe such articles. If it were an actual Apple policy there would be something on their web site or in their press releases. I go by the warranty, which has not changed at all. And since nobody but Apple and Apple Authorized service providers have access to Apple new OEM parts, how can any 3rd party possibly repair anything without violating the terms of the warranty?

You can always pick up a telephone and call and ask Apple directly.

Does third party screen repair still void the Apple warranty?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.