Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extending an Airport WiFi Network

My experience with extending my wireless Airport network is as follows:

Apple support was very helpful and got my "extended" network up and running quickly.

I added an additional Airport Extreme into my Apple router mix. I also added Airport Express routers in extend mode as well. Or I should say the routers did that on their own.

Using Airport Express in extend/airplay mode resulted in dropped Airplay music, so I dropped the Airport Express routers back to client mode.

Adding a second Airport Extreme to the setup resulted in a drop in throughput by over 60%. Originally I was seeing 175Mbps near my Time Capsule. However set in extend mode with the additional Extreme router added, throughput maxed at 60Mbps consistently and much lower further away.

Signal strength really didn't change much except in the ATV furthest away, which usually displayed 4/5 dots. Now with the extra router out in the centre of the 2nd floor of my house I was receiving 5/5 dots but still only at 25Mbs.

I reverted back to a single Time Capsule wifi router setup. I still get about 25Mbs on the ATV furthest away, but back closer to the Time Capsule I am back to 175Mbs.

Interestingly the ATV furthest away from my Time Capsule now consistently shows 5/5 dots. This maybe because I moved the Time Capsule more centrally in my den on the second floor.

So extending my WiFi network didn't seem to improve reception upstairs to the third floor. AirTunes drops signal when in Extended/Client mode and the overhead of multiple Airport Extreme routers juggling for position resulted in a significant drop in throughput.

This is my second attempt at trying to get a better signal to my upstairs ATV. Last year I tried with an older Airport Express(wall plug model). It had no effect on reception.

Back to the drawing board.

Running ethernet is not an option for me. I am loath to run out an invest big dollars in a MESH system. Partly because I am curious what Apple has planned with their future networking strategies, HomeKit, Homepod, ATV etc.

The current Apple networking hardware is really top quality. That includes Airport Utility. It would be nice to see an Apple solution that gets around this overhead problem when extending a network.

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 12, 2017 9:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2017 7:15 AM

It would be nice to see an Apple solution that gets around this overhead problem when extending a network.

Extending wireless by wireless is never going to get around the overhead issue.. it is actually a problem caused by the very nature of wireless.

But a system like the Netgear Orbi uses a 3rd 5ghz wireless channel purely for backhaul.. this gives it a big advantage over normal repeater/extender/mesh systems.

One thing to note is the link speeds.. and pushing the links to 5ghz.

Originally I was seeing 175Mbps near my Time Capsule. However set in extend mode with the additional Extreme router added, throughput maxed at 60Mbps consistently and much lower further away.

This happens because it is linking on 2.4ghz.

I have a setup which looks like this.

User uploaded file

If you roll your mouse pointer over the spot where the pathetic airport utility says unknown connection.. will actually give you a bit more info.

I forced the connection to use 5ghz by using different wireless names on 2.4ghz and 5ghz.. the airport utility will not allow you to connect to the fastest setup only the better signal.. but on these admittedly older pair of Gen5 AE you can see the link is maxed out at 450Mbps which is best N wireless can do.

To get this speed I used a pair of AE each side of the floor which is just timber.. so they are 2M apart and you could then use the upstairs connection by ethernet and link it again to another AE.

Running ethernet is not an option for me.

Try powerline (homeplug in US) adapters as sometimes they work OK for this kind of thing.

But using wireless extenders is really messy and really unreliable unless it is specially designed equipment.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2017 7:15 AM in response to rickatk

It would be nice to see an Apple solution that gets around this overhead problem when extending a network.

Extending wireless by wireless is never going to get around the overhead issue.. it is actually a problem caused by the very nature of wireless.

But a system like the Netgear Orbi uses a 3rd 5ghz wireless channel purely for backhaul.. this gives it a big advantage over normal repeater/extender/mesh systems.

One thing to note is the link speeds.. and pushing the links to 5ghz.

Originally I was seeing 175Mbps near my Time Capsule. However set in extend mode with the additional Extreme router added, throughput maxed at 60Mbps consistently and much lower further away.

This happens because it is linking on 2.4ghz.

I have a setup which looks like this.

User uploaded file

If you roll your mouse pointer over the spot where the pathetic airport utility says unknown connection.. will actually give you a bit more info.

I forced the connection to use 5ghz by using different wireless names on 2.4ghz and 5ghz.. the airport utility will not allow you to connect to the fastest setup only the better signal.. but on these admittedly older pair of Gen5 AE you can see the link is maxed out at 450Mbps which is best N wireless can do.

To get this speed I used a pair of AE each side of the floor which is just timber.. so they are 2M apart and you could then use the upstairs connection by ethernet and link it again to another AE.

Running ethernet is not an option for me.

Try powerline (homeplug in US) adapters as sometimes they work OK for this kind of thing.

But using wireless extenders is really messy and really unreliable unless it is specially designed equipment.

Sep 13, 2017 5:54 AM in response to rickatk

Running ethernet is not an option for me

Then, your option to achieve top performance is unfortunately not possible. As you have already discovered, "extending" a network using a wireless connection will always result in a loss of about half of the potential speed on the network. In many cases the loss is even greater.

Some users have found that using Ethernet over Powerline (EoP) adapters has helped overcome some of the loss that occurs when you try to extend a network using only a wireless connection. The theory with these devices is that you already have the wiring in place in your home.....you just need the adapters. In practice, things often do not work as well as the theory might suggest.

It is not possible for us to say how well.....or, even if....EoP adapters might work well in your situation. You have to try them out in your home to see how well they will work in your home. For that reason, if you consider EoP products, it would be wise to understand the store's return policy before you buy.

I am loath to run out an invest big dollars in a MESH system

If you cannot run the Ethernet cable, and EoP adapters do not provide the speeds that you need, then one of the newer Mesh systems is really your only option if you want to achieve better performance.

Partly because I am curious what Apple has planned with their future networking strategies, HomeKit, Homepod, ATV etc.

As you might imagine, no one on a user-to-user support forum will have any information about what a notoriously secretive company like Apple might do, or when they might do it.

It has been more than 4 years since Apple has introduced any new wireless router products, so Apple is now far behind other suppliers as far as wireless is concerned. My opinion would be that they will not suddenly catch up. But....if they do....then you can be assured that the products will be significantly more expensive than other current mesh systems that are available today.

The current Apple networking hardware is really top quality.

That might be, but the fact remains that Apple is far behind other manufacturers as far as router performance is concerned.

That will happen if Apple ever decides to offer a mesh system. But, as I said, they are 4+ years behind at this point, and I doubt that Apple will want to take on the role of a follower, rather than a leader.

Extending an Airport WiFi Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.