Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the new Apple TV 4K support audio passthrough?

Just saw the announcement of the new Apple TV, read through the specs, and was somewhat disappointed re the lack of audio support (DTSx?). What about audio passthrough? Does the new Apple TV support that?

Apple TV

Posted on Sep 12, 2017 11:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2017 2:02 AM

Guys, hold on to your panties. I submitted this question as I have a performant receiver and high-end speaker, and foremost ripped my collection of Bluerays some time ago and store my MKV's on my NAS. No passthrough is indeed a no-go to change from my Nvidia Shield to ATV. By no means I posted this question to see the thread slipping out of hand and read comments on anybody's behaviour. If nothing else, this thread would serve to bring to Apple's attention there is an audience with this particular requirement. We all now Apple like many other tech companies monitor their blogs. Please join me in clamoring: APPLE? YOU HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO SELL MORE ATV AND FOREMOST TO BIND EVEN MORE PEOPLE TO THE CONTENT YOU PROVIDE BY ADDING THIS SMALL FEATURE CALLED PASSTHROUGH" :-)

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2017 2:02 AM in response to Goofmangbt

Guys, hold on to your panties. I submitted this question as I have a performant receiver and high-end speaker, and foremost ripped my collection of Bluerays some time ago and store my MKV's on my NAS. No passthrough is indeed a no-go to change from my Nvidia Shield to ATV. By no means I posted this question to see the thread slipping out of hand and read comments on anybody's behaviour. If nothing else, this thread would serve to bring to Apple's attention there is an audience with this particular requirement. We all now Apple like many other tech companies monitor their blogs. Please join me in clamoring: APPLE? YOU HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO SELL MORE ATV AND FOREMOST TO BIND EVEN MORE PEOPLE TO THE CONTENT YOU PROVIDE BY ADDING THIS SMALL FEATURE CALLED PASSTHROUGH" :-)

Sep 13, 2017 6:18 PM in response to Winston Churchill

That's bad news, if true. After all the negative feedback from ATV 4 users for not having audio pass through, this is why people will continue to go to their smart TV to stream video from providers instead of Apple TV. Wake up Apple... audio is just as important as video, and we have hi quality AV receivers to process audio and don't want to be stuck with your weak decoding that's built into the Apple TV.

Sep 18, 2017 11:37 AM in response to jvulto

Hello Winston, thank you for sharing your thoughts. Do you believe there is no reason for Apple to adopt these new innovative audio technologies?

They weren't really my thoughts but rather observations. however...

Which technologies Apple will support are anyone's guess, but Apple tends to adopt technologies which serve in great numbers. Even if Atmos was supported by more providers and on more than a handful of movies, the additional bandwidth required for such formats are likely to mean they are consumed by but a few.

Sep 18, 2017 11:15 PM in response to Winston Churchill

The discussion of compatibility between streaming devices and immersive surround technology extends way beyond smug takedowns of people who cannot meet a complete arbitrary number of how many sites provide DTS-X streams. You made your point that DTS-X is not available through streaming. So what?! Nobody came on here clamoring for DTS-X compatibility. This does not change the fact that Apple TV does not bitstream audio. Since it does not decode Dolby TrueHD or DTSHD-Master Audio, then there is no way to reproduce immersive surround with this device. That means it is useless to those of us who rip our UHD movies, or HD movies encoded with Atmos, and stream them throughout our homes using Plex, Kodi, etc, to be viewed throughout our own private networks. Roku not only has a faster engine, but also bitstreams Atmos through HDMI. Plex on Nvidia Shield is compatible with BOTH Dolby Atmos and DTS-X passthrough. It is true that Apple cares more about Siri and screen saver upgrades than providing audiophile capabilities that match their new videophile offerings. That is their business philosophy, that is their right. In like manner I will exercise my right to ignore their TV, and continue to enjoy a superior movie experience with Roku and Shield. If they upgrade to bit streaming, then I will buy their product. Newsflash: Not everyone is satisfied with laptop or iPhone grade sound quality.

Sep 30, 2017 1:40 PM in response to Goofmangbt

Tell me how this differs from what Apple TV does with HD audio tracks or why Apple TV would pass through this audio and not any others? What is needed is a bitstream (raw audio) pass through option so that we can utilize our expensive AV receivers to decode audio and not be forced to only get audio output decoded by Apple TV so that Siri can talk to us. Frankly, if pass through means no Siri voice for that audio output option, so be it. I don't know of any current audio devices that do not have this option.

Sep 30, 2017 4:16 PM in response to MarkyMarc43

No, I don’t want it to be a “deal breaker.” I am a total Apple fan and want Apple to understand that it is standard practice to provide a bitstream audio pass through and they need to figure out how to add this option with a firmware update or be second rate and extreamly disappointing to loyal customers, if they do not. Most serious AV enthusiasts connect Apple TV to there AV receivers for audio decoding and to not provide audio pass through as an option is simply ludicrous.

Oct 3, 2017 5:56 AM in response to Goofmangbt

So let me get this straight. The ATV 4k doesn't bitstream audio. Rather than send unaltered audio to the receiver to then be decoded in it's ram and sent to speakers, it instead decodes the audio in it's own ram, then sends to the receiver as lossless PCM. Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference? A compressed format like DD(+) needs to be uncompressed some where, by some one. The ATV isn't altering or (re)compressing the audio, it's sending an uncompressed lossless stream via PCM, correct?

I mean it's no different from me sending you a zip file, but when you download it, Safari decides to uncompress the zip for you, rather than you having to click on it to uncompress it yourself. It has to be uncompressed some where along the line, it's just a matter of who does it.

This isn't true of HD formats, I know, but we're not even talking about those at this point as the ATV is focused on streaming rather than local media. It's not a Blu-ray player. It's a device to sell iTunes content. And iTunes content doesn't have HD audio. Even the big push for tv content in ATV is only stereo sound. Perhaps in the future Atmos will start to take off in the streaming world and we'll get Atmos support, but you have to realize what you're buying and what its goal is.

Does the new Apple TV 4K support audio passthrough?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.