Related Article

Use tones and ringtones with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How to get custom ringtone onto iOS 11 device?

How to transfer custom ringtone with iTunes 12.7?

Apple support article says to transfer it manually "if you have ringtone in your iTunes". However in iTunes 12.7 there are no ringtones anymore and I can't find a way to transfer custom ringtone my to iPhone.

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Sep 13, 2017 3:53 AM in response to valkata In response to valkata

User uploaded file

The iTunes software no longer manages tones for you, but it still lets you inspect which tones are in your phone (see screenshot above).

I got my custom ringtones back by doing the following:

1) Using finder, locate the files in the folder "Tones" under where my iTunes media library is stored

2) From within iTunes, with my iPhone connected, select "Tones" under "On My Device" (screenshot above)

3) Drag the files from (1) onto the blank area in (2) to copy them onto the phone:

User uploaded file

4) Click "sync".

5) From my iPhone, choose Settings -> Sounds -> Ringtone: confirm that the missing custom ringtones have been restored and that my default ringtone has been automatically set back to the (now no longer missing) custom ringtone it used to have.

Note: My phone is using iOS 10.3.3; I haven't installed iOS 11 yet. But I had the same problem with "where did my custom ringtones go?" the moment I upgraded iTunes to 12.7.

Sep 23, 2017 5:34 AM in response to OperaTenor In response to OperaTenor

This is totally what is happening to me. I've used the same custom ringtone I made for my 3G!! Updated to ios 11 yesterday and now it only plays the default marimba even though the ringtone is on my phone and does play. I tried assigning it to a contact as I read that somewhere-didn't work, I powered off my phone-didn't work, I do have the ringer on and I do have the downloaded thing hit in the sounds section. I've done everything I can think of. I cannot get the **** thing to recognize my custom ringtone-same issue as you.

Anyone have any ideas???????

Sep 23, 2017 8:43 AM in response to OperaTenor In response to OperaTenor

I too am having this issue. I have custom ringtones on my phone (created in iTunes from music I ripped via CDs and which play when I navigate to them under Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Ringtone), but when I receive a phone call, the default "Opening" tone is what is played. I have been griping about this to Apple since at least public beta 5 and they have been absolutely no help. Thus far I have:

1. Tried setting custom ringtones for specific contacts (no resolution).
  2. Confirmed the tones play in iTunes when my phone is connected to the computer.
  3. Completely removed the ringtones from my device, synced/rebooted the phone, and manually re-added them per the new means of manually managing tones (no resolution).

Currently I am at a loss, and, thus far, Apple seems to be offering no resolution. While this is partly just frustration talking, I have had every iteration of an iPhone since the 3G. That being said, with decisions like this, requiring an army of dongles/adapters on the new MacBooks, nerfing the volume of keyboard clicks to almost inaudible levels, and other "odd" decisions they have made recently, Apple is making me seriously reconsider investing in future iterations of their devices. Upgrades to hardware and software are supposed to improve things, not make them worse. They have been well aware of this issue long before the master release of iOS 11 rolled out the door and they have done absolutely nothing to fix it.

Rant over; if anyone finds a resolution for this, please share. This is driving me up the wall.

Update: Looks like half my custom ringtones work and the other half do not. The ones that do not, Apple has tagged as "purchased" (right-click > item info > file) even though they were not. They were created in iTunes from songs which came from a CD Rip. Unsure how to get around this, but I am investigating. The ones that do work, are not tagged as such. Everything else is identical: file location, extension, etc. I am looking into this, but thought I would update here in case it helps someone else find a resolution faster.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Sep 13, 2017 3:53 AM in response to valkata In response to valkata

User uploaded file

The iTunes software no longer manages tones for you, but it still lets you inspect which tones are in your phone (see screenshot above).

I got my custom ringtones back by doing the following:

1) Using finder, locate the files in the folder "Tones" under where my iTunes media library is stored

2) From within iTunes, with my iPhone connected, select "Tones" under "On My Device" (screenshot above)

3) Drag the files from (1) onto the blank area in (2) to copy them onto the phone:

User uploaded file

4) Click "sync".

5) From my iPhone, choose Settings -> Sounds -> Ringtone: confirm that the missing custom ringtones have been restored and that my default ringtone has been automatically set back to the (now no longer missing) custom ringtone it used to have.

Note: My phone is using iOS 10.3.3; I haven't installed iOS 11 yet. But I had the same problem with "where did my custom ringtones go?" the moment I upgraded iTunes to 12.7.

Sep 13, 2017 3:53 AM

Reply Helpful (60)

Sep 13, 2017 6:30 AM in response to ben_ellis In response to ben_ellis

First, in the summary, be sure to check "manually manage your music and videos" (or just videos if you use Apple Music or itunesmatch).

Then click again on the tones section of the device and there, you will be able to right-click on the tone and delete it like that. After it will tell you it is updating files on the device and then you are good to go.

Sep 13, 2017 6:30 AM

Reply Helpful (4)

Sep 21, 2017 8:27 AM in response to drclic In response to drclic

The deletion method you described doesn't work for me. (MacOS 10.12.6, iTunes 12.7, iOs 11, and an iPhone 6) I can see the custom Tones that I dragged and dropped on my device in iTunes, but cannot select/deselect any of them either via the checkbox that worked in previous versions or right-clicking on the file name.

Anyone have an idea when this will be fixed?

Sep 21, 2017 8:27 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Sep 22, 2017 9:19 PM in response to valkata In response to valkata

I've had the same ringtone on whichever iPhone I've owned for over a decade. I updated to iOS11 last night, and now, even though my ringtone is still listed and selected in Sounds and Haptics, and it sounds whenever I check it in settings, but whenever I get an incoming call, I get the "Opening" default ringtone.
User uploaded file

Sep 22, 2017 9:19 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 23, 2017 5:34 AM in response to OperaTenor In response to OperaTenor

This is totally what is happening to me. I've used the same custom ringtone I made for my 3G!! Updated to ios 11 yesterday and now it only plays the default marimba even though the ringtone is on my phone and does play. I tried assigning it to a contact as I read that somewhere-didn't work, I powered off my phone-didn't work, I do have the ringer on and I do have the downloaded thing hit in the sounds section. I've done everything I can think of. I cannot get the **** thing to recognize my custom ringtone-same issue as you.

Anyone have any ideas???????

Sep 23, 2017 5:34 AM

Reply Helpful (49)

Sep 23, 2017 5:44 AM in response to FingersPolishMania In response to FingersPolishMania

I'm in no hurry to upgrade to iOS 11. The loss of support for 32 bit apps is a big drawback to me. Gotchas such as poor handling of custom ringtones just add to my reluctance to upgrade. None of the new features sound that compelling.

Of course, with the way planned obsolescence is pushed, I'll eventually find myself needing to upgrade. But so far, no thanks...

Sep 23, 2017 5:44 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: valkata

Question: How to get custom ringtone onto iOS 11 device?