Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Related Article: What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS?

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I turn off iMessages can I still receive an iMessage?

-Some of my contacts don't receive my iMessages. -Some of my iMessages won't send (interent connection was down due to Hurricanr Irma) -If I turn off iMessages, i don't receive iMessages -There is no obvious, easy way to choose text or iMessage -Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Sep 13, 2017 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2017 12:32 PM

I have SSM texting through my provider and have been using it, very successfully, for years. How can I choose, at the time of messaging, which option to use? Some of my iPhone friends have turned off imessaging. Therefore they do not my receive my iMessages even though my phone shows the message as "delivered.". This is unnecessarily difficult!

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2017 12:32 PM in response to Demo

I have SSM texting through my provider and have been using it, very successfully, for years. How can I choose, at the time of messaging, which option to use? Some of my iPhone friends have turned off imessaging. Therefore they do not my receive my iMessages even though my phone shows the message as "delivered.". This is unnecessarily difficult!

Sep 13, 2017 2:34 PM in response to Demo

Thanks for trying to help. Neither I nor my friends know the message settings on their iphones. Mostly, we are senior citizens who just want to keep in touch. The hurricane did cause an additional layer of frustration, but my internet/wifi is restored. After its restoration, I replied (iMessager was on) to a friend's text reporting on her son's surgery. My phone showed the message was delivered. HOWEVER, my friend called an hour later because she had not received my response. Plan to turn off iMessaging. I certainly won't be paying $1,000 for even more aggravation.

Again, thank you for trying to help.

Sep 13, 2017 12:43 PM in response to Rregigi

You cannot receive iMessages if it is not enabled. iMessages is an Apple app that works over WiFi. If you turn it off, you can't send or receive iMessages. You can send and receive standard SMS messages via your wireless cellular provider assuming that you have a plan that includes texting.

Sep 13, 2017 12:50 PM in response to Rregigi

You cannot pick and choose on your own. On your phone, if you have Settings>Messages>Send as SMS enabled, the texts should go through to them as SMS messages if WiFi is not available for iMessages. Every once in a while, and iMessage can go through as SMS if you don't have a good WiFi connection on both ends.

Are these people set up to receive SMS messages on their end. Or could all of this be due to the Hurricane as you seemed to allude to?

Sep 13, 2017 2:49 PM in response to Rregigi

To be honest, if you iMessage was activated and it displayed as Delivered, the problem was probably on your friend's end. The Delivered tag shows that the message went from your phone the iMessage server and to a number registered to iMessage. I'm guessing that since the problems encountered with power and cellular services, it has created havoc with many users.

Sep 13, 2017 3:21 PM in response to Rregigi

One thing you can do to send a text message - immediately after you send an iMessage (blue color) even before it is delivered, try long pressing it, and select send as a text message, that way, the message would be definitely sent to the receiver even though his iMessage sometimes doesn't work due signal problems. Note that both of your carriers would charge accordingly for the text messages depending upon your current carrier plans.

If I turn off iMessages can I still receive an iMessage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.