Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X: which model can switch between CDMA and GSM?

Depending on whether the modem chip set is Qualcomm or Intel, previous iPhones were limited with respect to operating on GSM or CDMA networks. I would like to know if the new iPhone X has this same limitation. The specs list two models: Model A1901 or Model A1865. Can either of of these models be moved from CDMA to GSM with a change in the nano SIM card?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted on Sep 13, 2017 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2017 10:01 AM

The A1865 supports both GSM and CDMA; the A1901 does not support CDMA. See the "Cellular and Wireless" section of iPhone X - Technical Specifications - Apple

7 replies

Sep 14, 2017 10:13 AM in response to FoxFifth

FoxFifth, thank you.

I suppose further questions should be directed to the carriers. I understand your response and the iPhone X specs mean that I could purchase an unlocked, carrier-unspecified model A1865 directly from Apple and take the phone to either AT&T or Verizon and have the phone configured for either network. I am somewhat confused since this begs a number of additional questions. Such as, could I purchase a model A1865 from Apple configured as a replacement for my current iPhone 6+ which is currently on the GSM AT&T network? (One reason for such questions is my desire to be able to use the phone in Japan on my travel there.)

Once again, would appreciate any information from the community. I expect others may have similar questions.

Sep 14, 2017 11:41 AM in response to Richard-13

Richard-13 wrote:

FoxFifth, thank you.

... Such as, could I purchase a model A1865 from Apple configured as a replacement for my current iPhone 6+ which is currently on the GSM AT&T network? ...

I think that with the iPhone 7 you could not get a phone directly from Apple that had an AT&T sim installed that was set up for your current AT&T phone number and that was both CDMA & GSM. I think you would need to buy the SIM-free model. Whether the same buying options will apply to the iPhone X is as yet unknown (at least to me).

Sep 16, 2017 12:09 PM in response to Richard-13

Keep in mind that switching form GSM from CDMA is not only a question of the phone's technology. CDMA carriers have to load information on a phone into their Device Management Database. They are not always willing to do that for phones that were not originally sold for use on their networks. Consult the CDMA carrier you are interested in using.

Last I checked, the only iPhones Verizon would take from outside their network were the 6/6+ and 6S/6S+.

Sep 16, 2017 12:34 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks very much for your comments. I will check with Verizon and NTT Docomo to see what they say. However, I would like to know from Apple if the A1865 with specs listing BOTH GSM and CDMA is technically capable of being used on the AT&T GSM network in the U.S. for a period of time (if ATT commercially permits) and later used on a CDMA service. (I do note that the X models listed for Japan (all CDMA) are different than those shown for the U.S.)

Still not exactly the "world phone" I guess.

iPhone X: which model can switch between CDMA and GSM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.