Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I update iPhone apps with new iTunes 12.7?

I just installed the new version of iTunes, but now it does not allow me to update my iPhone apps. How do I do this?

Posted on Sep 13, 2017 3:52 PM

192 replies

Nov 8, 2017 11:52 AM in response to lesliec3136

You OBVIOUSLY have not read the posts, and don't understand what the changes are. FACTS:

• Your CDs, home movies, MP3s, podcasts, music from other sources, videos are unaffected by this change. You still sync them using iTunes as you always have. iTunes simply has gone back to what it started as, a music management app. The way it worked until 2008.
  • You won't lose anything. Nothing. Nada.
  • The only difference is you will not sync apps or iBooks from iTunes anymore. Instead you will use the App Store on your iOS device, or the iBooks reader. And you will get "clean" copies of the latest versions when you purchase, download, update or sync directly from Apple's servers.
  • You will install business apps the same way you always have, with the Configurator app. Or, if you prefer, download iTunes 12.6.3, which still supports app downloads from your computer. But if you are talking about custom Enterprise business apps the Configurator is the correct way to manage Enterprise apps.
  • Here is the official description of the changes: Changes in the new iTunes - Apple Support

While I agree that it is a minor inconvenience to not be able to browse the app store from your computer, it is not the worldwide disaster that you imply.

Sep 14, 2017 9:59 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

here's a problem for Apple to solve... If they even care....

I have 3 ipods. 2 that are ipod 5's the other a 6. an Ipad 4 and an ipad pro. and 3 iphones and a macbook pro. I use itunes to update, sync and sort all of them, without any problems what so ever. I had to do a full reset on one of the 5's. How will I be able to get the OUTDATED APPLE APPS that work on all of the devices Apple has already sold me? as the apps update, we will not be able to use the other ones we had because they (apps, music, books, and the rest) will be replaced on the app store with newer versions by Apple and the developers.

The one I had to reset will not be able to download ANY of the automatically updated apps from ANYWHERE! they will not work on an older ipod or ipad, and itunes will not be able to sync them either. So, we the customers, have no way of using our devices that are only a few years old!

I am just one of a family of 5, and we are all VERY Upset at apple right now, for doing this! Not to mention what they will come up with next! collectively we have 13 Apple devices and 2 Apple TV boxes! We almost went Andriod when they tried to replace our Music with theirs last time! Fortunately the customers made themselves heard, and I hope they do so agian! Or we are all scr***d!

Example 1:

I reset my ipod 5 #2. I synced it to itunes on my Macbook and got everything back. all except the apple numbers, pages and keynote. They are NO LONGER AVAILABLE for the ipod 5.! fortunately i have a back up drive on usb, and copied the apps to the folder and synced it.

with the Bright Idea apple has now, that will no longer be possible on ANY of my devices - old or newer.

Example 2:

I used to enjoy Angry Birds, until they went super greedy and ruined the game (see the reviews).

All I had to do was replace the new version with the older ones and I was up and running with out the ads, coin costs and crashes.

With the New & Innovative Brain Storm, the only versions of ANY apps will be the current ones developers and Apple offer us. Whether we like them or not! Forcing us customers, ----who are fast losing trust in apple----, to accept what is offered us and be happy with just that. We will NOT be able to even GET the older versions of ANYTHING!

As for the music, books and ringtones, it's the same. All Apple has done is to make it difficult for us to create our home-made or custom music, custom albums , custom ringtones and books, and get them onto our devices so easily. They want us to feel that it's easier and less hassle to just shut up and download THEIR music, their tones and their books. And then decide to store it all on Their iCloud servers. Leaving us all forced to stay with Apple and pay their pricing, and of course, with no way out!

This is NOT "out of the box thinking", it is simply telling us, the paying customer "you will take what we give you, and you will like it, or else"! Isn't that why most of us left Microsoft??

So, I will be staying with the itunes, ios and MacOS I have for a long time to come, and they can keep the pretty bells and whistles, while they ruin the enjoyment for us all!

Hey, APPLE: Why don't they ASK US, the paying Customer, BEFORE you mess things up like this. You would think you would have learned a lesson from the last iTunes fiasco! Many are getting less and less happy with you......

Sep 14, 2017 10:52 PM in response to David Illig

Everyone knows that.......

This has nothing to do with not wanting to "change to newer", it's not wanting to be forced to do it.

They seem to be making it difficult for us to be individuals who want our custom music, books, tones and preferred versions of apps.

With the way Apple is doing it now, one will not be able to restore the older devices with the correct versions that are now already stored in our iTunes folders (ready to be restored as needed) in just minutes. I still have an iPod 4 that I still update with the proper music, apps and files in my desk. With 12.7 It is now useless.

If a person has an Iphone 6 today, and has the apps that work with it in itunes folders. They are happy with all of them as they are. But, in a few months, needs to do a restore. Where will that person get the apps they had, if they are not able to get them back because they are no longer able to use iTunes to restore them? The new iTunes will not even be able to restore it at all. In a year the apps they rely on won't even be available to them anymore for the iPhone 6 in the "new App Store". Not every one has the cash to throw at Apple's latest "innovations". Much of us are families that update "one at a time" and not all at once. And if we were to use the new iTunes we won't be able to run what we have. My youngest still has a 5s, and often uses itunes to sync, change and re-use older versions of apps when an update crashes the app. He simply deletes the bad version and uses the last good one.

Also, wait until you have an app that "changes their previous rules of purchase" (like so many already do), or constantly crashes or corrupts the device itself, and you try to use a previous version - and cannot. Because you only have a current version to download and it overwrote the stable version. With no previous version to go to. And no way to get up and running. And try to constantly run each device update for hours over wi-fi instead of minutes in the comp.

No, Apple did not think this through.

Sep 18, 2017 12:47 AM in response to capecoddan

Hi, I had similar 'experiences'. I used this method, and seemed to work for me, until Apple get their act together and re-install it on later version of iTunes. Apple what are you thinking to disable this functionality on 12.7? There's no way to see an overview of all the use/un-used/installed/non-installed apps on your iOS devices.

Just ignore the fact that this link is to solve for something else, the method works to de-grade to iTunes 12.6.2.20 or any version you like.

http://www.sidify.com/faq-revert-to-itunes-12.5.html

Hope that works.

Sep 18, 2017 7:15 AM in response to DaVeKmacplaudit

DaVeKmacplaudit wrote:

There's no way to see an overview of all the use/un-used/installed/non-installed apps on your iOS devices.

Of course there is. That's what the Purchased section in the App Store App on iOS App shows exactly:

You can filter them so only apps not on the device are listed or show a list of everything bought ordered by date of purchase, most recent first.

User uploaded file

If its not on the iOS device, it will have a cloud icon. If its installed it will have an open button.

I understand that we will be finding and updating iOS apps via the App Store app on my Mac. However, I don't see ANY app listed there. Is it possible that Apple released the new version of iTunes before they released the new version of the App Store?

No. Where did you get that from? The Mac App Store app will continue to be only for Mac Apps. all iOS App management will be done on the devices themselves.

Sep 20, 2017 7:59 PM in response to Collinwood1680

Collinwood1680 wrote:

There's an easy way to get Apple to stop all of this...........

What would happen if NOBODY updated to the latest versions of IOS, MacOS, or iTunes????

Well, that would show them. But, I suspect that the number of people still managing their apps through iTunes is very small. I'm sure that if you're one of that small number, it's quite upsetting. But, realistically, there probably aren't enough of you to make a blip on the feedback radar.

Take a look at Apple Configurator. It can replace some of the features that have been lost to you in iTunes.

Apple Configurator - Official Apple Support

Sep 20, 2017 8:36 PM in response to GregsHouseOfMacs

GregsHouseOfMacs wrote:

Does this mean that apps are NOT backed up in iTunes backups? If so, then I would have to download them all again (if I have wifi, thanks to apple) if I have to reset and restore my iOS device. I think I am going to revert back to earlier version( I know I saw something here on how to do this. I sure wish I had read about this before answering yes on the upgrade. This change is HUGE, and it should have been a new rev (13.0) instead of an incremental update of the same rev.

Any what about iTunes backup to iCloud? I cannot backup a 128 GB iPhone on iCloud,

Apps have never been backed up to either iTunes or to iCloud. And you have to download your media again now if you have to reset and restore your device.

And your iCloud backup, like your iTunes backup only backs up certain things like your device Settings, your app data, Messages, Camera Roll, etc.

iTunes and iCloud backups

And you can still manually manage much of your data by hooking up your device to your computer:

The New iTunes: How to "Sync" Apps, Books for Windows, and Ringtones

Cheers,

GB

Sep 21, 2017 11:40 AM in response to Akira1138

Akira1138 wrote:

About new Itunes, if there were no 100mb limitation size via LTE and the possibility to sync old apps on older devices, there would be no problem at all "going forward" as you said. But if "going forward" is to be enslaved in a golden cage and be forced to do as they say, please be my guest.

Well, there is a way to sync old apps as I have pointed out already, so if you are ready to abandon the histrionics and take a look at the alternatives you have available, maybe you will see that there always is a way: The New iTunes: How to "Sync" Apps no longer av... | Communities (it's not Rocket Science).

Akira1138 wrote:

I will stop all updates of any apps and devices until they change their mind and if someday my devices stop working because of this stupid "moving forward" thing, i will get ride of all of this and take back my pencil and paper and boycott the entire computer industries ! Power to the people !!!

Before you go making rash statements and going on a techo-strike, you might want to at least make an effort to see what has changed, how it affects you in a real day to day situation, then come back with a more clear-headed discussion about where the biggest issues are.

Stomping your feet, and denying yourself the ability to continue to use your devices "on principal" is, in this case, simply someone who has decided that, even without seeing how to work with this new structure, it is just too large of an insult to even be bothered.

So, don't be bothered. And, while you are at it, it would probably be a better idea all in all for you to give up technology altogether, since the advancement of said seems to be so disruptive to your personal well-being.

GB

Sep 24, 2017 7:05 PM in response to Mr. Grumpy

Mr. Grumpy wrote:

This is exactly the problem that Apple doesn't get. There are large swaths of this country which have limited data access. And OMG! They don't have a Starbucks! And certainly not one which will appreciate you downloading several hundred megabytes of data should you need to restore your phone. Oh, and let's not forget the inconvenience of driving many miles to find a "Starbucks". Apple is stuck in this coastal mentality that everyone has limitless, high speed, no BW restrictions On their WiFi. Well, I hate to burst their bubble, but that's NOT the case.

Oh, and did I mention that some of us don't want our stuff on "the cloud"?

So, not sure you are understanding how the removal of the app store is going to affect you. Are you indicting that you purchase all of your new apps via the App Store on your computer, and then you sync those apps to your device? If so, then the next question would be, do you purchase tons of apps on a regular basis? The removal of the iOS App Store from iTunes will require you to purchase and download new Apps OTA, so that is a change.

As far as updates go, are you indicating that you have been in the habit of applying App updates by syncing your device to iTunes on your computer? If so, then you will have to start updating them OTA as well.

Mr. Grumpy wrote:

And certainly not one which will appreciate you downloading several hundred megabytes of data should you need to restore your phone.

For awhile now, when restoring your device, whether via an iCloud backup or an iTunes backup, the apps themselves were being downloaded directly from the app store for the specific device being restored. So, that's nothing new. You can still backup and restore your device the same way you always have. Absolutely nothing about the way you restore your device, or the amount of downloading that will be done, has changed one iota.

Mr. Grumpy wrote:

Oh, and did I mention that some of us don't want our stuff on "the cloud"?

OK, so your stuff is not in "the cloud". If you are referring to the little cloud that appears next to iTunes Store purchases (music included) that have little clouds next to them, that is a symbol for iTunes in Cloud. And all that means is that you have a link to a particular purchased item in iTunes Store which allows you to download that item as many times as you want to because you have purchased it. If it is already downloaded to the device you are looking at, you won't see the cloud. So, you don't need to worry that any of your personal "stuff" is in the "cloud". iTunes in the Cloud is not related in any way to iCloud.

You can share your concerns with Apple here: Apple - Feedback. Perhaps they would consider creating a separate iOS App Store app that would allow folks to purchase, sync, and update apps by connecting to their computer.

Cheers,

GB

Sep 24, 2017 7:09 PM in response to palalan

You need to go back to the beginning of the thread and read it. No one is mad at anyone. We are explaining a change that was made by Apple, and providing the best advice we can to help people adapt to this change. And what is it with you and "nailed it"? Nonsensical.

Also, read my response to Mr. Grumpy. Unless you are purchasing tons of apps, and unless you have hundreds of apps that are being updated every day, this change should have very little impact on you. If if does, then let Apple know: Apple - Feedback

GB

how do I update iPhone apps with new iTunes 12.7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.