Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.7 won't update on Windows 10

iTunes software update fails with errors and then suggests running manually. Tried that and get the dreaded error of "There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A program required for this install to completed could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

I'm running as Admin. Tried doing a repair on all Apple installed software and rebooting and reinstalling but same error. Tried uninstalling everything and then rebooting and same error. Tried every registry edit I could find online regarding this problem and same error. Anyone have any ideas? Running a Windows 10 64 installation and everything was updated today from Microsoft. This is a home machine so no network blocks or install permission issues like you'd run into at work. I'm at a loss. At least 12.6.2 was able to reinstall with no problems.

Posted on Sep 13, 2017 5:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2017 3:58 AM

So this is what eventually fixed it for me although it took quite a while and a lot of fiddling. I finally deleted all Apple installed items through the Windows Uninstall utility. Downloaded a fresh copy of the iTunes installer from Apple and ran that. It failed again but I ran it a second time and instead of letting it try to install it I used the Tools->Download Only option. This downloaded the MSI package. Manually ran that MSI package as Admin and it finally installed everything correctly.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2017 3:58 AM in response to JYOFord

So this is what eventually fixed it for me although it took quite a while and a lot of fiddling. I finally deleted all Apple installed items through the Windows Uninstall utility. Downloaded a fresh copy of the iTunes installer from Apple and ran that. It failed again but I ran it a second time and instead of letting it try to install it I used the Tools->Download Only option. This downloaded the MSI package. Manually ran that MSI package as Admin and it finally installed everything correctly.

Dec 13, 2017 8:08 AM in response to perfectreign

The original issue mentioned can usually be fixed by repairing Apple Software Update from the Programs and Features control panel, then uninstalling it before trying to reinstall iTunes. If it won't repair try the Microsoft troubleshooter mentioned in note 1 of the following guide. If it still won't uninstall you can remove all Apple components that will uninstall then use the steps in Install missing components to install everything apart from Apple Software Update.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Sep 23, 2017 4:42 PM in response to BSchwartz

Hello, I went through a LOT of trouble, from google, youtube, apple support, windows support and the ONLY thing that finally fixed the problem of not being able to install iTunes 12.7 onto Windows 10 was this guy named Falky on youtube. It's a quick, less than 6 minute video clip and it did it! It's fairly easy, straight forward. In it at the end it spoke of an app or program Bonjour, which unlike his example I do not have that program but it didn't matter, it worked none the same. Here's what you can put on youtube on the search bar and look for his name, Falky. Good luck:

Tech Solutions | How To Fix iTunes Install Error (Your system has not been modified.)

Sep 23, 2017 4:48 PM in response to BSchwartz

Hello, I went through a LOT of trouble, from google, youtube, apple support, windows support and the ONLY thing that finally fixed the problem of not being able to install iTunes 12.7 onto Windows 10 was this guy named Falky on youtube. It's a quick, less than 6 minute video clip and it did it! It's fairly easy, straight forward. In it at the end it spoke of an app or program Bonjour, which unlike his example I do not have that program but it didn't matter, it worked none the same. Here's what you can put on youtube on the search bar and look for his name, Falky. Good luck, copy & paste this below:

Tech Solutions | How To Fix iTunes Install Error (Your system has not been modified.)

Sep 24, 2017 12:19 AM in response to Wineaficionado

Its the same permissions fault... by creating the directory your giving that directory the read write permissions, same as when you copy the files.

quicker easier way is to open up my computer,

1. right click the C Drive

2. Properties

3. Security

4. click edit

5. add you user name in

6. give it full everything

ok the system warnings ( you cannot give yourself permissions to certain things like the OS)

7. click the advanced button

8. click on your user name

9. tick the bottom box "replace...."

you should be good for everything from there on in

I found with the Windows upgrades on the Beta, that it on occasion removed the unique user permissions, and allowed only to be a restricted general user, but did not change the user created directories from the previous build, so the user was now invalid.

hope this works for you or anybody else... not let me down yet!

Sep 24, 2017 12:28 AM in response to JYOFord

Why thank you. The steps that you’ve outlined sound kinda easy. Myself though, I’m good to go, finally ran into a video on YouTube that worked. If your method works I think that it sounds easier than the 5 minute video that I watched but i was just happy to get iTunes back. I’m in the middle of inputting hundreds of classical music CD’s and for a few days I had hit a stop.

Oct 24, 2017 10:21 PM in response to BSchwartz

The only thing that worked for me for the Windows Package error for Itunes 12.7 was to a) repair the Apple Software update from Control panel AND then b) In the Apple Software Update software, go to Tools>Download Only. I saw this on some other site when I was googling this to no avail. Once the Download Only was done, I was able to manually click on the installer and it finally succeeded. Going to the update through the older Itunes took me to the Apple website and the Apple website download did not engage the Apple Software Update software. I didn't even know there was a stupid Apple Software Update software. I thought you just had to download the update from Apple website. Is it because of the way Chrome opened the downloaded file? I have been trying to figure this out for several weeks. I am ****** off that it was this difficult to figure out!

Dec 28, 2017 10:34 AM in response to turingtest2

The general advice suggests that to remove Bonjour you may have to stop programs or remove SW that depends on it. The problem with is is that in this day and age, there are may services and apps that depend on it. You can stop the services and tasks that depend on it, but this is tedious at best. You can uninstall apps that depend on it, but you better be sure you have the installer necessary to re-install. In some cases, this may not be readily available.

In Windows 10, you should be able to repair Bonjour via the modify button in the Settings -> Apps & Features screen.

iTunes 12.7 won't update on Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.