Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

7G Nano says no music, but iTunes disagrees

iTunes shows exactly what I expect to be on my 7th Generation Nano, but when I try to play from the Nano, it says "No Music".

I have reset the Settings, reset the iPod multiple times (hold Sleep/Wake and Home until reboot), but no change.

Seemed to be working fine just an hour or so before "No Music." In my last (properly working) session, I used Music Rescue to copy a couple songs to my Mac, then used iTunes to put a couple other songs on the Nano.

Any ideas?

iPod nano (7th generation), 16GB

Posted on Sep 13, 2017 5:16 PM

6 replies

Sep 14, 2017 3:13 PM in response to gyandev

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, gyandev.
If I understand your post correctly, iTunes shows music on your iPod nano but when you try to play music the iPod nano says there is no music downloaded. You've restarted the device multiple times and that hasn't helped. I'l be happy to work with you to get you back to your music.
First, let's go ahead and sync the iPod nano with your iTunes library. This article will give you the steps to do that:
Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes on your computer using USB
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Sep 14, 2017 3:48 PM in response to brenden dv

Thanks, Brenden. You do understand correctly what I've tried.

In fact, I don't sync my iPod with my iTunes library because I manage 3 iPods and 2 iPads from my Mac, and all of them have different stuff on them. So it's manual all the time: I drag files from my SSD onto the Nano via the iTunes window, never adding the files to the iTunes library. (I hope that's not a bad idea, because I don't like having more than one copy of a file scattered over my SSD, and that's what adding to the iTunes library does. I often need to do non-iTunes things with those files, so I need to keep the non-iTunes-library copies.)

I've been hoping there's some magic that will bring my Nano to its senses, but I sense you're saying that I'd better consider the Nano to be brain-wiped. So should I restore it to factory settings and recopy the files onto it? Not the end of the world, just an annoyance, I'm guessing (although I've never before done a restore).

Sep 15, 2017 12:28 PM in response to gyandev

gyandev wrote:

In fact, I don't sync my iPod with my iTunes library because I manage 3 iPods and 2 iPads from my Mac, and all of them have different stuff on them. So it's manual all the time:

As no one else has mentioned this, I will.

You can use Sync to manage several iPods with the same iTunes Library. iTunes will recognise different iPods (and iPads) and then use the previously set up Sync rules to synchronise only the required content for that device.

It can be made simpler by using Playlists to synchronise each device. For example, create a Playlist for iPod #1, another Playlist for iPod #2 and so on. Then use Sync selected Playlists etc. to put the required Playlist onto each device. I would have thought it would save you time and more crucially, when one of those devices needs a Restore or to be replaced, putting the required content onto the restored or new device would be a couple of simple clicks.

Once songs are on the device, you do not have to use the Playlists to play anything. You can play by any of the previous methods you are currently using. All the Playlist is doing is managing the content.

7G Nano says no music, but iTunes disagrees

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.