Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Transfer Photos To iCloud

I have about 1 TB of photos in folders on an external Time Capsule hard drive I want to transfer to my 2TB iCloud. How do I do this?

MacBook Air, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Sep 13, 2017 7:30 PM

5 replies

Sep 14, 2017 9:52 AM in response to JUSA1

Hello JUSA1,
Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Community. I understand you’d like to move some photos to the iCloud photo drive from your Time Machine Backup, and I have some information that may help.
First you’ll need to move those photos to your Mac as described below.
Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support

Restore from a Time Machine backup

Restore specific files:

1. Choose Enter Time Machine from the Time Machine menu User uploaded file, or click Time Machine in the Dock.
    User uploaded file
  2. Find the files to restore:
    • Use the timeline on the edge of the screen to see the files in your Time Machine backup as they were at that date and time. The timeline may also include local snapshots.
    • Use the onscreen up and down arrows to jump to the last time the contents of the window changed. You can also use the search field in a window to find a file, then move through time while focused on changes to that file.
    • Select a file and press Space Bar to preview the file and make sure it's the one you want.
Afterward you'll want to follow the steps in the article below to set up your iCloud Photo Library.

iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

If you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

Sep 15, 2017 5:04 AM in response to JUSA1

I do not have that much space on the hard drive on my MacBook Air. I want to get the photos directly from the TimeCapsule to the iCloud. To be clear, the 1TB of Photos are accessible as files on the TC Hard Drive and not in a back up. They are in folders organized by date and or title.

Thanks for your help!

How To Transfer Photos To iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.