Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

_fpsd user?

I have a maybe simple question regarding users and permissions. When I attempt to modify the permissions in the finder with the "Info" option, I am able to add permissions for an invisible user "_fpsd".

I've not seen this before, because I usually use CHMOD in the terminal to modify permissions, but I am curious as to where this user comes from. They are not in the user list, as this is a laptop with only one user, the admin.

Is anyone familiar with why I am seeing this user and group info with a user I am not familiar with? Likely a software agent of sorts, just wanting to know why. It is likely a common issue?

See screen capture below for a visual.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 14, 2017 5:51 AM

39 replies

Sep 22, 2017 11:45 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks Barney... If it's a trusted Apple hidden account, that means it could be linked to crashing update i had tonight with black screen and white line on the top. I should have to reboot many times during the Sierra update... May be linked. I've first think it could be an attack that affect this strange user apparition, but it seems to reverse... So that mean my brand new MacBook Pro have a big problem with screen connection 😢
User uploaded file

Sep 25, 2017 7:47 AM in response to Chris Heric

Hi,

Sorry, I've been away in the last couple of days...

So here's my take upon further investigation: The _fpsd daemon is directly linked to iTunes, in the part of Core framework. I also have the 'user' along other hidden ones that are part of MacOS.

I fired Console and Activity Monitor and searched for _fpsd with no other apps running. No results. With those two apps running I opened iTunes and bam, _fpsd appeard in activity monitor. Sampled it and here it is:

User uploaded file

Being that it's not really a user with no real access to the Mac (ie: not a login user) I wouldn't tamper with it. Let's see what happens after MacOS 10.13 update.

BR

Sep 14, 2017 6:11 AM in response to Chris Heric

This is not a shipped macOS account name. There are a lot of these underscore prefixed names on macOS, and AndreiD's "

dscacheutil -q user
" will show you all of them. Some are used for services and tasks that run in the background, and some of them are just inherited from macOS's Unix ancestors.

A user name ending in 'd' is often associated with a background daemon, so removing that, we have fps, as in Frames Per Second. Did you install any video processing apps that maybe have a background daemon which deal with regulating or encoding or anything that might deal with frames per second?

I'm just trying to make a guess based on very little information.

Sep 16, 2017 6:40 AM in response to khaidir77

If you do the command

dscacheutil -q user

as BobHarris said, you get a long list.

And many on that list are part of the OS, but there can be some that refer to an old software even if you have uninstalled that:

for example I have a "user" called _Glimmerblocker,

and it gives the location as /Library/PreferencePanes/Glimmerblocker.prefpane/....

that software is long gone, but this "user" is still there.

The given location (Homefolder Library) is empty (even when hidden files are shown).

I can not make it visible as you did in your screen shot.

So probably the software that has "your" _fpsd user is somewhere on your mac.

Sep 19, 2017 4:03 PM in response to Chris Heric

Hi!

I had exactly the same problem than described here.

A new, invisible user suddenly appeared in the list of accounts

that pop up when you want to change the permissions for a file.

I searched for a system folder at location /var/db/fpsd

but it was not there.

Booting in Recovery Mode to reinstall the OS seemed really overkill to me,

so i searched for a more friendly solution and found the following.

Deleting this particular invisible user,

using a Command Line in Terminal.

WARNING:

the sudo command is always dangerous to use,

so be careful of what you're doing!

To Search for a User, use this command:

/usr/bin/dscl . -search /Users name [USERNAME]

in our case:

/usr/bin/dscl . -search /Users name _fpsd

To Delete a User, use this command:

sudo /usr/bin/dscl . -delete "/Users/[USERNAME]"

in our case:

sudo /usr/bin/dscl . -delete "/Users/_fpsd"

Hope this helps!

~ Kendalph ~

Sep 24, 2017 1:53 PM in response to Chris Heric

I am experiencing this issue as well. I am running OS 10.12.6 and iTunes 12.7. I have two iMac's running this configuration and they both have the _fpsd user. I used the terminal mode and ran dscacheutil -q user and found the _fpsd user in the list. On one of these computers I used the following terminal command to delete this user: sudo dscl . delete /Users/_fpsd. It did not like the password I entered, but after rebooting the computer, I found the _fpsd user was gone. I also found that iTunes would not run. I reinstalled iTunes 12.7. It now works and the _fpsd user is back. Based on this, I feel this user is associated with the iTunes 12.7 software package. As an aside, I have an Airbook mac running OS 10.12.3 and iTunes 12.6.0.100. The _fpsd user does not appear on this system.

Sep 25, 2017 12:01 PM in response to AndreiD

Mixed results from "dscacheutil -q user|grep _fpsd" and "ps ax | grep _fpsd"

My El Capitan system has _fpsd (both as an account, and as a running process)

My Sierra DOES NOT have _fpsd (with or without running iTunes and playing music)

Now my Sierra is a clean install on a new (less than a year old) Late 2016 15" Macbook Pro w/Touch Bar and Finger print reader.

Is it possible that users with _fpsd on Sierra are upgrades from older versions of OS X ???

Sep 26, 2017 6:58 AM in response to AndreiD

Thanks for the info AndreiD (BR). The use of Activity Monitor was a great idea. I repeated your process and I found exactly the same thing. My iMac is configured with OS 10.12.6 and iTunes 12.7. After restarting my computer, I looked for the "_fpsd" while no applications were running. I could not find it. As soon as I started up iTunes (12.7), the "_fpsd" user appeared. It is associated with the "fpsd" process.

I did a second experiment. I have a MacBook Air which is configured with OS 10.12.3 and iTunes 12.6.0.100. Using Activity Monitor, I looked for the "_fpsd" user and the "fpsd" process. They were not present. I then started iTunes (12.6) and I still could not find the "_fpsd" user or "fpsd" process. I upgraded iTunes to 12.7 (leaving the OS at 10.12.3). When I start up iTunes, the "_fpsd" user and the "fpsd" process appeared. Also when I get info on a folder (⌘I) and I go to change the user privileges on the folder I can now see the "_fpsd" user in the list of users I can assign to the folder - which is the original problem I was concerned about. All of this tells me that the "_fpsd" user and the fpsd process are associated with iTunes 12.7 (in some fashion) and that they are part of the normal Apple eco system. I would not recommend that you delete the "_fpsd" user. I tried this and it makes iTunes (12.7) inoperable. I had to install iTunes to recover. I would surmise that this is a minor bug introduced with the iTunes update to 12.7. My original concern was that I had some malware on my system. For me, that concern has has been alleviated.

Oct 16, 2017 11:39 AM in response to Chris Heric

This virtual user _fpsd is used by SONOS to get access to the iTunes library. I have seen this earlier as the user 'fetching', with latest updates it changed into _fpsd. In order to give the SONOS app opportunity to update and play from this library this user must be able to read-write otherwise you get the error message that SONOS is not able to access the library.

_fpsd user?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.