Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 3G won't start after reset.

I reset my iPhone 3G a couple of hours ago, and now it won't start. Just to be clear: This is not the phone I am using everyday. It was just a little project I had.

After I restarted my iPhone it went into the Apple Boot Logo (Or start screen), you know. After A while the phone ran out of battery so I plugged in the charger. After the phone had charged a while the boot logo came up on the screen again. I presumed that It once again tried to reset. Then, to my surprise the "You have to little battery to start the phone" or red battery icon came up on the screen. After a while the boot logo came up again. This pattern has been going on for a while now and I don't know what to do.

Thankful for help.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Sep 14, 2017 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2017 9:57 AM

Hi there, sprucecopse,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. After reading your post, I see that you have an iPhone 3G that won't boot past the Apple logo. I'd be happy to help!

Based on what you've described, I would suggest using the "If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up" section of If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on , which provides the following instructions:

If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up

If you see the Apple logo or a red or blue screen during startup, try these steps:

1. Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, try to borrow one, or go to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  2. While your device is connected, force it to restart.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons at the same time.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time.
  3. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the recovery mode screen.
    User uploaded file
  4. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.
    User uploaded file

iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.

Have a wonderful day.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2017 9:57 AM in response to sprucecopse

Hi there, sprucecopse,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. After reading your post, I see that you have an iPhone 3G that won't boot past the Apple logo. I'd be happy to help!

Based on what you've described, I would suggest using the "If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up" section of If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on , which provides the following instructions:

If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up

If you see the Apple logo or a red or blue screen during startup, try these steps:

1. Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, try to borrow one, or go to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  2. While your device is connected, force it to restart.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons at the same time.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time.
  3. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the recovery mode screen.
    User uploaded file
  4. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.
    User uploaded file

iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.

Have a wonderful day.

My iPhone 3G won't start after reset.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.