Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDCP 2.2 and the Apple TV 4K

I want to get the new Apple TV 4K in the coming weeks, but I probably won't be upgrading my Pioneer receiver to a 4K model until the Boxing Day sales.

So my question is this.... does the new Apple TV 4K utilize HDCP 2.2 encryption for iTunes Season Passes and Netflix?

My current receiver only supports HDCP 1.4 and I'm wondering if I'm going to be unable to watch anything until I upgrade the receiver.

Thanks

Posted on Sep 14, 2017 6:45 AM

7 replies

Sep 26, 2017 4:38 PM in response to Greg Robinson1

So after playing around with my Apple TV 4K and a Denon revceiver that doesn’t support HDCP 2.2 somehow 4K content is in fact passing through the unsupported receiver to a supported TV with no issue. I am having a hard time figuring out why but if it’s working I probably should not question it!

As for HDR though that seems to be a hot mess from my experience so far. (Weird gradients even when direct to TV and menus on Apple TV seems WAY dim on HDR 4:2:2 and 4:2:0).

HDCP 2.2 and the Apple TV 4K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.