Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer ebooks from PC to ipad now that they've killed books in iTunes?

Up until yesterday I had no problems transferring ebooks from my PC to my iPad via iTunes.

Now they've killed that functionality. (Thanks Apple)

So how do I transfer and maintain my library now?

The only help I can find is about restoring books purchased from Apple, which my library is not.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 14, 2017 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2017 4:53 PM

Before this frustrating update, the way that I did this when there's no laptop at hand was pretty simple: send an email with your .epub file attached to your own email account and open it in Mail app. When you click the attachment, iPhone will allow you to copy the file to iBooks. This works for PDF files as well.

Now I guess is the only way to import your local file into iBooks.

Great change, well done, Apple! 😠

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2017 4:53 PM in response to wondermouse

Before this frustrating update, the way that I did this when there's no laptop at hand was pretty simple: send an email with your .epub file attached to your own email account and open it in Mail app. When you click the attachment, iPhone will allow you to copy the file to iBooks. This works for PDF files as well.

Now I guess is the only way to import your local file into iBooks.

Great change, well done, Apple! 😠

Oct 13, 2017 7:55 AM in response to wondermouse

So, if I understand correctly, I bought an iPad a few years ago to replace my Kindle. Now I have to go and buy a Kindle to sync/maintain my book collection??!?!? I have a library of over 1400 books in my iTunes/iBooks that I can longer sync??? My iBooks app will be a monument to the last time I was able to sync my books then, I guess. Note that none of my books were purchased through iBooks, they're DRM-free epubs, so now I have nothing but an $800 internet viewing machine, I guess. Thanks, Apple!

Oct 13, 2017 8:03 AM in response to obreaslan

No. If you have the Kindle app on your iPad, it can still sync your Kindle books like it normally has from Amazon's cloud.

If you want to add books to your iPad so they are in iBooks, then that's where it was changed.

If you have epub files, or other types of book files you need to sync to the iBooks app on the iPad, then you can apparently drag them onto the iPad in iTunes and they will be synced.

If you have a Mac you can add the book to the iBooks app there and it will sync to iBooks on your iPad.

There just no longer a separate books section in iTunes.

Some options here

You removed Books from iTunes completely???

Oct 13, 2017 4:21 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:

If you have epub files, or other types of book files you need to sync to the iBooks app on the iPad, then you can apparently drag them onto the iPad in iTunes and they will be synced.

If you have ePub or other types of book files, you should be using iCloud Drive to sync them to your iBooks app:

Use iCloud Drive or iBooks to access your PDF files, ePub files, and books - Apple Support

Am I misunderstanding what you were referring to?

Cheers,

GB

Sep 14, 2017 2:06 PM in response to FoxFifth

But the section for books no longer exists! My entire library is no longer visible within iTunes.

So how do I get my ebook library back? I know how to manually transfer items from iTunes but have no idea how to make them available in the first place.

I have to say that this so-called improvement is turning into a complete pain in the backside. It seems like a land grab to persuade people to only use Ibooks. If they did this with audio files there'd be widespread condemnation.

Oct 14, 2017 6:13 AM in response to gail from maine

The question was more towards how you add epub books to iBooks on an iOS device directly now that is has been removed from iTunes. You cannot do so anymore.

Also unless you are using a Mac where you can use the Mac iBooks App to add Books to iCloud Drive, there is no access to iBooks on iCloud Drive on a Windows PC. So no way to add anything to iBooks from Windows.

Also some people don't want to have to use iCloud Drive to add books. They liked the old way where you could copy them directly onto a connected iPad rather than use space in iCloud Drive.

Oct 13, 2017 8:30 AM in response to Phil0124

I'll try the drag an drop method tonight and see if it works. Thanks. I want a way to transfer into iBooks directly from the Windows PC to the iPad like it used to work. I don't use any cloud services, and I don't want to. I store my books locally and transfer direct. Hopefully that will work. I'll let you know. Thanks again for the quick response.

Oct 14, 2017 6:29 AM in response to obreaslan

OK there is a workaround.

Firstly you cannot directly use iTunes to maintain your ebook library any more. Thanks for buggering that up, Apple.

And for those who said download directly from ibooks, YOU CAN'T - unless you have purchased the books from iTunes in the first place, which was NOT why I asked the question.

SO... I have found 2 workarounds, neither elegant but they do work.

Method 1: For epub format books into ibooks

1. First locate the book file you want to transfer using Windows Explorer.

2. Attach your iPad to your PC

3. When it appears in the iTunes sidebar, drag the book file onto the sidebar icon for your device.

4. It should transfer and be available to ibooks.

This is, of course a bit unwieldy for lots of books but it does work.

2. Method 2 for kindle.mobi format books, using dropbox and the Kindle app.

1. In Dropbox, create a books folder.

2. Put a copy of the books you want to transfer in the folder.

3. On your iPad, open the Dropbox app and open the Books folder.

4. Click on one of the books, it should download.

5. Click the export button (a square with an arrow pointing up out of it.

6. Click Open In... Select Copy To Kindle.

7. Kindle app should open with the book ready to read.

Unfortunately this method does not allow your reading position to sync across devices, but aside from that works well.

Feedback on this and any improvement to this or alternative methods welcome.

Oct 14, 2017 11:35 AM in response to wondermouse

wondermouse wrote:

OK there is a workaround.

Firstly you cannot directly use iTunes to maintain your ebook library any more. Thanks for buggering that up, Apple.

And for those who said download directly from ibooks, YOU CAN'T - unless you have purchased the books from iTunes in the first place, which was NOT why I asked the question.

SO... I have found 2 workarounds, neither elegant but they do work.

Method 1: For epub format books into ibooks

1. First locate the book file you want to transfer using Windows Explorer.

2. Attach your iPad to your PC

3. When it appears in the iTunes sidebar, drag the book file onto the sidebar icon for your device.

4. It should transfer and be available to ibooks.

This is, of course a bit unwieldy for lots of books but it does work.

Indeed, method 1 works and was already explained on page 1 twice.

How do I transfer ebooks from PC to ipad now that they've killed books in iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.