Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple TV box will not let me sign-in

My Apple box will not allow me to sign-in using username and password; i have tried both my wifes info and also re-did the password itself but still no luck, also no luck by doing a simple unplug/plug (reboot). Box also will not let me do a complete system reset etc...............does anyone have suggestions for a fix? thanks very much!

Apple TV

Posted on Sep 14, 2017 1:23 PM

14 replies

Sep 14, 2017 5:03 PM in response to Moneymap

hi again Diana; so i found what you were saying in the linked thread re: getting the v-code on phone and THEN try to add to password on the Apple box:

- enter Apple ID

- enter password and stop

- use Settings on your phone to request a code, see this link: Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support halfway down

- add the code to your password and send it.

The only time-critical part is from when you receive the code and when you complete entering the code. Please try to do it like this.

..................so i can just access Apple ID page etc on any device i guess? the idea just being that i need the 4 digit v-code and then add that to the end of the password, correct?

Sep 14, 2017 4:58 PM in response to Moneymap

Thank you. I read your initial post, and the entire thread before replying.

You seem to looking for features on Apple TV that don't exist, the Password/security and Verification code areas.

Please read this from the link I posted. These are the login steps.

- enter Apple ID

- enter password and stop

- use Settings on your phone to request a code, see this link: Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support halfway down

- add the code to your password and send it.

The instructions to get the code from your trusted device are the following"

Get a code from Settings on your trusted device

If you can’t receive a verification code on your trusted devices automatically, you can get one from Settings, even if your device is offline.

From your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

In iOS 10.3 or later:

1. Go to Settings > [your name].
  2. Tap Password & Security > Get Verification Code.

In iOS 10.2 or earlier:

1. Go to Settings > iCloud.
  2. Tap your Apple ID username.
  3. If your device is offline, tap Get Verification Code. If your device is online, tap Password & Security > Get Verification Code.

From your Mac:

1. Go to Apple Menu > System Preferences > iCloud.
  2. Click Account Details.
  3. If your device is offline, click Get Verification Code. If your device is online, click Password & Security > Get Verification Code.

So, you see, the "Password & Security" and "Get Verification Code" steps are on your trusted device, not on Apple TV, which just presents a dumb login, same as always.

I hope that's clearer now.

Sep 14, 2017 1:27 PM in response to Moneymap

If you are using two-factor authentication on an older device…

You should be able to append the code to your password and enter that (i.e. if your password is ABC and your code is 123, enter ABC123).

It seems from some comments posted in these communities that for some people an authentication code is issued once the password is entered which consequently fails to work and in other instances, no authentication code is issued at all.

Regardless of which way things happen for you, it seems the best approach is not to enter the password in the first instance but go straight to a trusted device and generate a code yourself (Settings Apple ID(Top) Password & Security Get Verification Code) and then enter the password and code as suggested above (ABC123)

Sep 14, 2017 3:36 PM in response to Moneymap

Hi Moneymap. I believe your problem in signing in to iCloud or iTunes using your Apple ID on your Apple TV 3. If you have enabled 2-factor authentication on your ID, maybe when you updated another device, you need to be a little tricky, because Apple TV 3 is not up to date with this process.

Winston already gave you the method for logging in, but take a look at this link: Re: appleTV keeps asking for appleID, password and authentication code circularly for another description. The trick is to request the code manually on your phone, and add it directly to your password, no space or punctuation. Timing is important, because the code is only valid for 30 seconds or so.

Sep 14, 2017 4:26 PM in response to Diana.McCall

thanks Diana; below is the initial post from earlier today:

"My Apple box will not allow me to sign-in using username and password; i have tried both my wifes info and also re-did the password itself but still no luck, also no luck by doing a simple unplug/plug (reboot). Box also will not let me do a complete system reset etc...............does anyone have suggestions for a fix? thanks very much!"

...............so this issue is the box A1427 will not allow me to sign into the 'Computers'/home sharing area, as it does not accept password, yet i cannot seem to find how to get into the Password/security and then Verification code areas, as suggested by Winston (v-code in order to add it to the end of my password when trying to sign in, if i am understanding things correctly)

apple TV box will not let me sign-in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.