Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I delete Google photo app backup will it delete my iCloud

I have the google photo app on my 7 plus iPhone The app is asking me if I would like to free up space. When I select remove backed up photos, it indicates that they will also be removed from my iCloud Photo Library. This makes me nervous and I'm not sure of what I should do.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 14, 2017 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2017 7:31 PM

Yes, if you use the free up space option on Google Photos app, it will delete the pictures from your iOS Photos app/iCloud Photo Library. For that reason, I have never used that option. You can backup your iOS Photos to an external hard disk first and then use free up space. In the end, I bought a SanDisk ixpand iPhone usb drive, which easily backups up iOS Photos but it's not cheap so it might not be the right option for you. I needed it because I was filming a lot abroad and I didn't have a computer I could backup the video files to, to free up storage on the phone.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2017 7:31 PM in response to Boblil

Yes, if you use the free up space option on Google Photos app, it will delete the pictures from your iOS Photos app/iCloud Photo Library. For that reason, I have never used that option. You can backup your iOS Photos to an external hard disk first and then use free up space. In the end, I bought a SanDisk ixpand iPhone usb drive, which easily backups up iOS Photos but it's not cheap so it might not be the right option for you. I needed it because I was filming a lot abroad and I didn't have a computer I could backup the video files to, to free up storage on the phone.

Sep 16, 2017 8:04 AM in response to Boblil

Sorry for the late reply. I'm pleased it helped you. I got the 32GB one I think (I double-check when I get home, and amend this message if I'm wrong) - for two reasons, 1. these things are fairly expensive 2. these things are, like every USB, easy to lose. So I reasoned that if I get the 32GB, I can only lose that much data and that much money; both of which scenarios would be worse with the 64GB. I must say, it is one of the best things that I ever bought, I really love that little thing. Never again will I have to worry when filming or taking photos in the field, as it were [especially abroad], that I'll run out of storage space and have to start making painful decisions about what to trash and what to keep.

If I delete Google photo app backup will it delete my iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.