Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro battery cycles going up before 100% usage

I noticed the battery cycle count on my Macbook Pro is going up before 100% is accumulated. For example, if I use 50% of the battery one day (and charge it up) and then 30% the next day the cycle count goes up one. The battery was used only 80% before the cycle count went up. I have been monitoring for multiple cycles now and the count goes up before 100% is reached. Anyone else notice this or have this problem? When the cycle count goes up immediately monitor the percentage used and let me know if you guys are getting 100%, thanks!

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 16, 2017 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2017 1:37 PM

I think I figured out why I'm not getting an accumulation of 100% battery usage before a battery cycle count goes up. My battery health is at 103%. The Macbook will only display 100% charged even if it goes over. When fully charged it'll hold almost 6880mAh. The battery max is 6669mAh.

So if I use my battery from 100% to 80% 5 times I'm not accumulating 100%. I'm actually accumulating 115%.

The Macbook pro battery must be counting it as 103%-80%=23% used. 23%(5X) = 115%

I suppose when battery health reaches 100% the readings will be more accurate.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2017 1:37 PM in response to MasterConqueror

I think I figured out why I'm not getting an accumulation of 100% battery usage before a battery cycle count goes up. My battery health is at 103%. The Macbook will only display 100% charged even if it goes over. When fully charged it'll hold almost 6880mAh. The battery max is 6669mAh.

So if I use my battery from 100% to 80% 5 times I'm not accumulating 100%. I'm actually accumulating 115%.

The Macbook pro battery must be counting it as 103%-80%=23% used. 23%(5X) = 115%

I suppose when battery health reaches 100% the readings will be more accurate.

Sep 17, 2017 1:15 AM in response to MasterConqueror

You may have studied this Apple document but just in case you haven't it is something to review,

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ht201585

You say,

***** 30% battery used means the battery displays 70% LEFT. Also, the percentage count for the battery cycle should begin when the cycle count immediate ticks up one count then the next cycle begins. You obviously don't want to start counting in the middle of a cycle. *****

But you do start in the middle ... but that count then goes until the 70% is passed and at that point it reverts to 1.

Sep 17, 2017 12:58 AM in response to stedman1

You said, "Charging from 50% to 75% on 4 different occasions, would accumulate 1 battery cycle." Of course that's one battery cycle, the ACCUMULATION is 100%. Charging it from 50% to 75% on 3 different occasions and it being 1 battery cycle does not add up to 100%. The original example was using 50% of the battery one day and 30% the next day counting as 1 battery cycle does not ACCUMULATE 100%.

30% battery used means the battery displays 70% LEFT. Also, the percentage count for the battery cycle should begin when the cycle count immediate ticks up one count then the next cycle begins. You obviously don't want to start counting in the middle of a cycle.

Macbook Pro battery cycles going up before 100% usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.