Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot update or download free apps because of billing information

Problem downloading free apps

Posted on Sep 16, 2017 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2017 6:54 PM

Hey! Thanks for reaching out!

Sometimes, you need to review your billing information before downloading apps on the App Store. Just fill the required fields and you'll be good!

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to reply.

162 replies

Jan 17, 2018 4:38 PM in response to 2000CAD

What if I don’t want a payment method? I used a visa gift card, there isn’t a money balance on it anymore and it won’t let me update my games or download anything it says “ verification required please update your billing info. “ but when I do I only need to fill out he CVV and when I do it declines my card? I even tried putting “ none. “ as my payment method and it still doesn’t work, also it asks me to download apps under my old Apple ID and I’m using my current one though?

Jan 20, 2018 9:28 PM in response to Shaun1455

I don't know if this helps, but it might... I tried to upgrade my OS software and kept getting a "billing info" prompt, followed by an error page. Changed my billing info... no luck.

So here's what I think the problem is, and it's what ultimately worked for me... While you can change your billing info in AppleID - and then go to the App Store without a separate log in - it does NOT automatically update your billing info IN THE APP STORE - which is a SEPARATE operation. Try updating your billing and shipping info in both AppleID and the App Store first before attempting a purchase.

Hope this helps.

Apr 28, 2018 3:25 PM in response to 2000CAD

Are you kidding me!!! So Apple is going to force you to put in a credit card to download FREE APPS??? that is reason enough to not even do business with Apple!!! and I think this sounds corrupt to me.... some people "prefer" not to use credit cards.... so is Apple going to reimburse customers for their iPad or iPhone since it is basically rendered useless anyways.... I would get my money back from Apple if I were you! They cannot force anyone to use a credit card... its against the law.... research it...

Jul 28, 2018 7:13 PM in response to 2000CAD

I had my debit on iTunes account now it’s doesn’t work. It keeps declining my card saying there’s an issue. All I download are free apps. I also have music but that’s all I spend money on through iTunes. But I have been told there’s been pirchases on apps I don’t use as well that I haven’t made any on. But how am I supposed to download games on my phone if I can’t get my debit visa to connect to it? All my information is correct including the address on my bank account info.

Oct 11, 2018 9:56 PM in response to Shaun1455

Reportaproblem.apple.com for iTunes App Store issues/refunds....

you have purchased an app or in app content that was given to you but payment was never received. Your iTunes account will not accept a card because it is disabled. Call customer support and the can verify and enable it within seconds.

Side not not if you dispute an iTunes purchase with your bank this issue would also occur and the same resolution is listed above, call in

you can also use a gift card as a Card if you don’t want your card on file.

Oct 24, 2018 12:26 PM in response to Shaun1455

As a follow up to this question. If I’m not being charged, why do I have to provide ANY billing information for an update for an app that was free and/or already paid for. It is 100% rediculous that I can’t update ANY of my apps because I am dealing with financial issues. Please remove this requirement IMMEDIATLY! The only time I should have to update my billing info is if I am making a valid purchase. It’s not free if I have to have money to get it.

cannot update or download free apps because of billing information

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.