Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder / File Manager for iPad

Hello,

I cannot find a Finder / File Manager for iPad in the App Store. Is there such an app? I also would like to use a File Manager when downloading/uploading files through a browser such that I can choose the location on the filesystem rather than having to choose an app in/to which the file is assigned.

Essentially, I want to change the iPad's file management paradigm from an iPhone approach to a desktop/laptop paradigm.

Thanks,

kds-kds

Posted on Sep 17, 2017 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 11:48 AM

Essentially, I want to change the iPad's file management paradigm from an iPhone approach to a desktop/laptop paradigm.

Yeah... that's not likely ever to happen in the iOS environment.

As mentioned, iOS11 brings, to the iPad, a finder-like app, but not as full featured as it sounds like you are looking for.

User uploaded file

iOS 11 - Apple (CA)

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2017 11:48 AM in response to KDS-KDS

Yeah... that's not likely ever to happen in the iOS environment.

As mentioned, iOS11 brings, to the iPad, a finder-like app, but not as full featured as it sounds like you are looking for.

User uploaded file

iOS 11 - Apple (CA)

Sep 20, 2017 11:48 AM in response to KDS-KDS

Those features are deliberately not available in iOS due to the sandboxed nature of the iOS file system. Nobody could even build such an app for the App Store, since no app has access to any other apps file space. iOS itself enforces that sequestration of apps and their file space.

When you download anything from a web browser, or by feta or setup or any other transfer method, you must open it in a compatible app, which will then save it in that apps’s secure file space. The user has no ability to view, access or chose where files are stored in the iOS file system. You cannot change that paradigm - it is a core part of iOS itself and is not alterable. iOS simply is not like a desktop operating system, by explicit design.

Sep 20, 2017 11:47 AM in response to KDS-KDS

Hello Everyone,

I'm replying to everyone at once by replying to my original question, instead of half-a-dozen individual replies.

I do appreciate all the informative / helpful replies.

Just updated my iPad to iOS 11, thanks to you all, and will check out that Explorer app.

As all replies are helpful, I intend to click 'Helpful' on all of them and shall hope the site lets me (years back it limited you to two).

kds-kds

Sep 20, 2017 12:19 PM in response to KDS-KDS

Hi. I misspoke regarding the features of FileExplorer Pro. It does not manage local directories, so it's the same as Files on that score. It does let you access a wider variety of servers, which I like.

GoodReader most certainly does allow creating a complex local directory tree, to manage documents within the app. But it's mainly for reading.

Finder / File Manager for iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.