Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error 51

Having "searching" for network, tried to restore got a "error 51", now what...?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 17, 2017 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2017 2:06 AM

I tried resetting my 7 two days ago due to the same “No Service”/“Searching” issue, and essentially bricked my phone. I was getting a few different error codes, but at the end of the ordeal kept getting error 51. After two days of working with an iOS senior advisor, I had to create a new administrator account on my MacBook Pro, and under that account, do a DFU restore in iTunes. That was what finally fixed my phone after around 30 restore attempts. Once my phone restored to factory settings and was updated with the new iOS, I was able to return to my normal Mac account, restore my phone with the latest backup, and delete the temp admin account.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2017 2:06 AM in response to DbBean

I tried resetting my 7 two days ago due to the same “No Service”/“Searching” issue, and essentially bricked my phone. I was getting a few different error codes, but at the end of the ordeal kept getting error 51. After two days of working with an iOS senior advisor, I had to create a new administrator account on my MacBook Pro, and under that account, do a DFU restore in iTunes. That was what finally fixed my phone after around 30 restore attempts. Once my phone restored to factory settings and was updated with the new iOS, I was able to return to my normal Mac account, restore my phone with the latest backup, and delete the temp admin account.

Jan 4, 2018 1:31 PM in response to aawwsed10

So a day after my original answer, my phone started having the same issue. I ended up spending another hour with a senior advisor, and we finally figured out my phone had a hardware issue (the modem was shot), and I had to send it to Apple to get it replaced. Luckily, my phone was just inside the warranty window. After about a week I got my phone back, and haven’t had an issue since. And they actually replaced my battery too for free which was awfully kind of them. If my original post doesn’t prove to be a lasting solution, you likely need to look into sending your phone in for the same issue.

error 51

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.