Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does apple ask your social security number thru email

recieved an email about a questionable login on my account from a new device or new location. It ask me to fill out personal info including my S.S. But when I entered my number its said wrong number. Is this a scam because it stated I have one week from the 17th to prove something or my account will be deleted . I didnt login on this day so im confused. Please Help

Posted on Sep 18, 2017 1:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 6:52 PM

It's a scam. Do not follow any links or enter any (more) personal data. You could report it to Apple by forwarding it as an email attachment to reportphishing@apple.com - then delete it.

Apple will never email you this way - if they have to lock your account for security reasons they won't tell you, they will wait for you to find out and contact them. Any messages from Apple will address you by name, not 'Dear Customer' or similar. Apple will never ask you to enter or 'verify' personal details.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2017 6:52 PM in response to Sunkisser222

It's a scam. Do not follow any links or enter any (more) personal data. You could report it to Apple by forwarding it as an email attachment to reportphishing@apple.com - then delete it.

Apple will never email you this way - if they have to lock your account for security reasons they won't tell you, they will wait for you to find out and contact them. Any messages from Apple will address you by name, not 'Dear Customer' or similar. Apple will never ask you to enter or 'verify' personal details.

Sep 18, 2017 1:50 AM in response to Sunkisser222

No, they have no need of it (and accounts don't get deleted), it's a phishing email - you could forward it to Apple : reportphishing@apple.com , and then delete it.

Phishing and similar emails : Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Genuine iTunes emails : Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store - Apple Support

If you entered your iTunes account's password on their phishing site you should change it immediately.

Sep 22, 2017 11:31 AM in response to deggie

I believe it's illegal to use it as an identifier (such as at a doctor's office, identifying patients by their SSN). They used to do that (in fact, at one doctor's office they told me that they could not accept me as a patient unless I gave them my SSN because that is what they used for ID purposes and there was no need re. insurance - I walked out), but that practice was (thankfully) discontinued some time ago.

does apple ask your social security number thru email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.