Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White pixel on the screen (not a dead pixel).

Hi there.

I have issue with white pixel. This pixel appears on the screen.

The first I thought, this is dead pixel on display, but I was able take a screenshot!

This white dot always located on top of all windows, except mouse cursor.

Some times this white pixel change the location, jumped +/-50 pixels left/right.

Rebooting of laptop, and termination all active applications, isn't help.

It's the most odd thing, that I ever saw on macOS.

Anyone also face this? Please, help to find solution how to fix this!

Thanks!

P.S. That is a few screenshots from left bottom corner:

Common location

User uploaded file

Jumping

User uploaded file

Above others windows.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 19, 2017 3:26 AM

4 replies

Sep 19, 2017 3:41 PM in response to VadimuZ

Hello VadimuZ,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with your display on your Mac. Please check this help article: About LCD display pixel anomalies for Apple products released in 2010 and later

There is a bunch of info about pixel anomolies, and if you need further assistance, the article states:

If you are concerned about pixel anomalies on your display, take your Apple product to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store for closer examination. There may be a charge for the evaluation.

You can find support providers using this link: Apple Find Locations
Thanks and have a great day.

Sep 20, 2017 1:25 PM in response to VadimuZ

Hello VadimuZ,

Thanks for checking out the information provided in the help article we sent over. If nothing there has helped, we recommend checking if the issue occurs when you are booted into Recovery, in safe mode, and a test user.

Let's try Recovery first: About macOS Recovery

Once in Recovery, test if the issue occurs here. If it does, this is an issue with the hardware and the computer needs to be seen at an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Store. Use the link in the first reply to find a provider please.

If the dot does not show in Recovery, try safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Once in safe mode, if the issue is not occurring, please check the section titled "If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode" in the article for safe mode.

If you still need assistance, test this in an unmodified test administrator user from the steps in this help article: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Once you are done testing, please check the section in the article corresponding to the results you received, which are titled "If the issue happens in the other account” OR "If the issue doesn't happen in the other account”.

Thanks again and have a great rest of your day.

Dec 5, 2017 1:26 PM in response to VadimuZ

Hi VadimuZ,

I have just experienced the same issue and indeed it seems it is not a hardware fault but some macOS issue (bug?). It looks exact same as your screenshots. I first noticed the white spot (maybe 2-3 pixels, can't say exactly as it is Retina) while watching HTML5 video. Even when opening other dark windows on top of it still showed the white pixels.

I realized it is not a real issue when I switched to a virtual machine - there was no white pixel there.

And finally, I managed to get rid of the pixel(s) by switching to desktop (alt-cmd HM). :-)

The white pixel(s) did not show up since.

Tomas

White pixel on the screen (not a dead pixel).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.