Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do Apple Routers support Jumbo Frames?

We are changing our Internet provider. They utilize RF to deliver the signal and one of their questions is, do Apple Routers support Jumbo Frames. We utilize Apple Routers.

Thanks,

Don

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Sep 19, 2017 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 12:44 PM

Starting with the Extreme base stations that sported Gigabit Ethernet ports, Apple used the Broadcom BCM5395 Ethernet chip which does support Jumbo Frames up to 9728 bytes .... however, I've yet to see it actually work.

One simple test if you have, at least, two computers is to do a ping between them with both connected to the base station by Ethernet. Open Terminal on one of the Macs and enter the following at the command prompt: ping -D -s 8184 <destination IP>. If the ping "fails" the connection is not using jumbo frames. A failure would include a "sendto: Message too long" error.

Also be sure that each Mac is configured to use jumbo frames. System Preferences > Network > Ethernet > Advanced > Hardware tab > Configure: Manually & MTU: Jumbo (9000)

For example, when pinging my MacBook Pro @ 192.168.1.145 from my Mac mini, I would enter: ping -D -s 8184 192.168.1.145 <return>

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2017 12:44 PM in response to Boomer607

Starting with the Extreme base stations that sported Gigabit Ethernet ports, Apple used the Broadcom BCM5395 Ethernet chip which does support Jumbo Frames up to 9728 bytes .... however, I've yet to see it actually work.

One simple test if you have, at least, two computers is to do a ping between them with both connected to the base station by Ethernet. Open Terminal on one of the Macs and enter the following at the command prompt: ping -D -s 8184 <destination IP>. If the ping "fails" the connection is not using jumbo frames. A failure would include a "sendto: Message too long" error.

Also be sure that each Mac is configured to use jumbo frames. System Preferences > Network > Ethernet > Advanced > Hardware tab > Configure: Manually & MTU: Jumbo (9000)

For example, when pinging my MacBook Pro @ 192.168.1.145 from my Mac mini, I would enter: ping -D -s 8184 192.168.1.145 <return>

Do Apple Routers support Jumbo Frames?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.