Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 iMac trying to use Thunderbolt to connect to USB 3 hub

Mid 2011 iMac with 20 GB memory, 1 TB drive running Sierra OS 10.12.6

I'm trying to connect a USB 3 hub to the computer to enable use of USB 3 devices. Want to use the Thunderbolt port on the iMac. So I got an Apple Thunderbolt cable connected to Apple Thunderbolt to USB C converter. Using a female to female connector to an Apple USB C to USB (3/2) converter cable to connect to the Sabrent 4 port USB 3 hub (powered). I then plug in my USB 3 drive (Western Digital - My Passport), it powers up, but does not appear on the iMac desktop. To check the T-Bolt port, I connected my MacBook Pro to the USB-C converter and it shows up, so I believe the port on the iMac is working. When connected to the hub, the System Report shows nothing on the T-Bolt port.

Thoughts/Solutions?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Sep 19, 2017 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2017 2:18 PM

Thunderbolt and USB are different protocols and you need an active Thunderbolt to USB 3 adapter to plug your USB 3.0 Drive or USB 3.0 Hub into.

For some examples:

Amazon.com: Kanex Thunderbolt to eSATA plus USB 3.0 Adapter: Home Audio

Amazon.com: CY Thunderbolt Port to USB 3.0 Super Speed Hard Disk Drive Adapter

usb3 to thunderbolt adapter - Newegg.com

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2017 2:18 PM in response to Charlie Marino

Thunderbolt and USB are different protocols and you need an active Thunderbolt to USB 3 adapter to plug your USB 3.0 Drive or USB 3.0 Hub into.

For some examples:

Amazon.com: Kanex Thunderbolt to eSATA plus USB 3.0 Adapter: Home Audio

Amazon.com: CY Thunderbolt Port to USB 3.0 Super Speed Hard Disk Drive Adapter

usb3 to thunderbolt adapter - Newegg.com

Sep 19, 2017 2:23 PM in response to den.thed

This is helpful.

I was trying to do the hookup with Apple hardware, but may try this approach. I have a new hub coming (complimentary from Sabrent) that has a USB C cable connection. It would eliminate one "converter". Will post what I learn with the new hub. If it doesn't work, then I will go with your suggestions. Fortunately, I can return the items for credit/refund.

Sep 20, 2017 8:45 AM in response to Charlie Marino

The only way you might get USB3 functionality on a 2011 iMac

is to purchase one of the pricey "Thunderbolt Docks" like this:

OWC 12 Port Thunderbolt 2 Dock with 1.0M... at MacSales.com

(Thunderbolt 2 is directly backward compatible to Thunderbolt "1"

on your iMac).

Here is another alternative, but still pricey to get full USB 3 capability:

Amazon.com: Kanex Thunderbolt to eSATA plus USB 3.0 Adapter: Home Audio & Theater

Or, if you can live with USB2 speeds, just plug it into a USB port

on your iMac. USB3 is backward compatible with USB2.

2011 iMac trying to use Thunderbolt to connect to USB 3 hub

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.