Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add folder in files app on iPad.

Hi, how do I add new folders in the file app within the “on my iPad” as locations.

Posted on Sep 19, 2017 1:42 PM

20 replies

Sep 20, 2017 8:41 AM in response to motorracer

Sorry, my post above got garbled and this forum won’t let me edit it since someone else posted in between. Please ignore my post above and use this one instead.

— — —

Here is how to add Microsoft One Drive to the Files App. You add it to the Locations folder just like iCloud.

Part 1: Go to Locations and select Edit.

User uploaded file

Part 2: You will see this view.

User uploaded file

Part 3: Toggle One Drive to ON. (I also did Google Drive at the same time.). Then select Done.

User uploaded file

Part 4: You will see OneDrive as one of your Locations.

User uploaded file

Sep 20, 2017 6:57 AM in response to motorracer

Files supports different locations:

Cloud locations like DropBox and iCloud allow you to create folders where you can indeed mix files of different types.

The On My iPad (or On My iPhone) locations appear to be app specific and at least at this time don't support mixing file types.

Remember, this is a work in progress. Apple just now released updates to its iWork suite which integrate with Files. Microsoft may well have to do the same.

Sep 20, 2017 7:50 AM in response to zeveto

Hi. Please read this detailed review of what the Files app is, and what it is not. See link:iOS 11, thoroughly reviewed | Ars Technica. The rest of the review is pretty informative also.

Given the sandboxed nature of iOS, it seems unlikely that apps will be able to open files in the wild anytime soon. Despite whatever impression the demo may have left.

It looks like the Microsoft apps will need an update to interface with Files.

And the iWork apps already have updates that you can download.

Sep 20, 2017 8:58 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Hi Diana,

I also just found that clicking on the OneDrive Location gives me an error.

On the other hand, I can still use my Microsoft applications and access my files from directly within the apps.

So, in summary, you are right.

Tangentially, do you know a way to make embedded pictures in these discussions a smaller size? It seems to just give me the option to import them directly from my camera roll. I can crop them if I want, but I can’t shrink them.

Sep 20, 2017 11:18 AM in response to Dzd-n-Cnfsd

Hi Dzd-n-Cnfsd. I don't think it appears unless you have some apps tuned in to what Files expects. There are new updates to Pages and Numbers that make them work. Others yet to come.

Note that what you see in On my iPad is "folders" representing the local storage of certain apps. You can access the files belonging to those apps. It does not give you access to any directory structure that you could organize and populate yourself. It is not like the Explorer on Android, though it was hyped as if.

Jan 1, 2018 2:33 AM in response to Diana.McCall

That’s interesting about you seeing Numbers and Pages files begin to show up. I do see them myself, my only under the iCloud Drive entry (I have Files and Numbers to keep all their files there). OneDrive and Creative Cloud also showed up on their own. What puzzles me is that files stored locally by a third-party app called FileApp showed up automatically.

i would like to have local files stored by NET-Toolbox and Remote Files show up, as well, but haven’t figured out how to make it happen, assuming that it’s even possible.

Jan 1, 2018 6:18 AM in response to Wild Is Me

Hi Wild Is Me. It's up to the app to implement the interface expected by the Files app. Apparently, all the cloud services (Box, DropBox, etc.) did this in advance of iOS 11. Your FileApp has been updated, so it appears, but the other apps will need to be updated by their providers. In my case, I see FileExplorer and (strangely) iCab Mobile. You would only see the Pages, etc. "folders" if documents were stored locally by them, which is not the case for you.

Add folder in files app on iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.