Looks like no oneā€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS11 battery life very poor - Just 3hrs

With the upgrade of ios11 on my iPhone 5SE the battery is draining very fast. Is there a way to have it reverted to old battery life.

iPhone SE, iOS 11, null

Posted on Sep 19, 2017 3:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2017 3:14 PM

1. I restarted my device.

2. Killed all the apps running in the background.

3. Restarted my device again.

4. Just used siri for route information.

5. Battery drained in 3hrs from 75% to 4% -- This is very bad :-(

Is there anything that I need to disable to get better battery life ?

34 replies

Sep 20, 2017 6:37 PM in response to raghubec

I have to agree. I have iphone 5s and the phone is not even charging when plugged in compared to before. I had it in my desk for few hours earlier and it lost like 30% doing nothing. There is something wrong with this update or they changed the way apps use the battery (i don't know which). I have turned off the background app refresh as suggested below. I'll see if that helps.

Sep 24, 2017 8:47 PM in response to mindlin

I have an iPhone 5S and I am having severe battery issues too. Supposedly updating to a major iOS version can cause initial battery issues that go away after a few days, but I never had this problem updating from iOS 9 to iOS 10.

I would call Apple and let them know: (800) 275-2273

The more people who complain, the more they'll explore whether the problem is with iOS 11.

Oct 2, 2017 6:11 AM in response to raghubec

The battery life, even in low power mode on my iPhone 6 is abysmall since upgrading to IOS11.01. It has had some charging cycles already. Looking at battery consumption in the last 24 hours, the highest percentages have just very short active time in minutes. Weā€™vd hade this before, is this an old bug surfacing again?

Nov 12, 2017 9:22 PM in response to deggie

No!

Itā€™s rather pitiful that the headline advantage of 11.1 was 70 new Emoji.

Iā€™d gladly swap all the emoji and get my battery life back to where it was before the iOS 11 debacle.

I could understand reduced battery life if the phone gave me some performance increase or ADDED functionality but I have experienced NOTHING positive. There is not one thing in the 11 ā€œupdateā€ that has even made me think thatā€™s nice.

Here is an emoji just so I get some ā€œuseā€ out of this ā€œupdateā€

Dec 5, 2017 8:53 AM in response to raghubec

I am having this same issue after upgrading to ios 11 on my iPhone 6s. My phone was affected by the 6s battery recall about a year ago so I was able to get a battery replacement, so this is not a battery age issue I would venture to guess. After upgrading to iOS11 several weeks ago my phone drains within a few hours of light use. I have turned off all the background app refresh except for things I think absolutely necessary. Did a bunch of other tweaks found online for optimizing battery life, all to no avail. Any help appreciated.

Dec 5, 2017 11:58 AM in response to Nerfherder72

I contacted Apple tech support and they conducted some diagnostics on my phone (6S) and was told my phone and battery was all in good order. All I needed to do was just wait for the battery to be recalibrated which was required after the update. This would happen automatically as I continued to use the phone.

Needless to say that didnā€™t help either.

I have come to the conclusion that the 6S was built too well and not enough people were upgrading their 6sā€™ because they were lasting better than expected (they are now over 2 years old ). So what a better way to push people to buy a new phone than by killing its battery life and deny all existence of an issue.

Just in the couple of minutes Iā€™ve taken to write this post Iā€™ve dropped from 58 to 56%

Dec 5, 2017 12:12 PM in response to saabaus

Hi

Go to apps store download Battery life it will test your battery condition.

After 2 years use iCloud would make an appointment at Apple store For a battery replacement.

Or contact Support.apple.com for posting details Mine took 4 days use SIMCARD in other phone if you have one.

Turn screen brightness down a bit turn off apps refresh.

Cheers

Brian šŸ‡¬-1F1E7;

Dec 5, 2017 12:57 PM in response to saabaus

saabaus wrote:

Just in the couple of minutes Iā€™ve taken to write this post Iā€™ve dropped from 58 to 56%

You have not "come to a conclusion", you've jumped to one. Without knowing a whole lot of other things, it's impossible to say if that indicates a problem. For example, if you're not getting a good cellular signal, your phone will use battery very rapidly. You could have a stuck background process. You could have any number of other things going on that could result in your battery draining more quickly than you might expect. That is why troubleshooting, tedious though it may be, is required.

Dec 5, 2017 2:19 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

That all may be so, but this is not an issue that I and many others experienced prior to ā€œupdateingā€ to IOS 11.

The change in battery capacity was a statement of fact - not a conclusion.

Unfortunately as I did not have a problem ptlrior to ios11 I do not have any hard data to confirm my experience. If Apple would allow us revert back to 10 than it would be possible to produce logs and gather hard data and compare the results to the post 11 issues.

If there is a away to check for stuck/hung apps I would love to know - that would be very useful. Currently every app I have active appears to be functioning correctly.

I like Apple products in general because I use them as a tool and usually they perform their intended function with the minimum of fuss. Unlike the options.

Dec 5, 2017 2:30 PM in response to saabaus

saabaus wrote:

The change in battery capacity was a statement of fact - not a conclusion.

The statement of fact is that you're having battery problems. Everything else is an assumption at this point. what troubleshooting steps have you taken? There are quite a number of things you could try. However, if it were my phone (but mine isn't having any battery problems), I would restore it to factory state and test it for a few days.

iOS11 battery life very poor - Just 3hrs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.