Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lightening cable melted while charging ipad pro

The charging cable that came with our ipad pro melted. The cable cracked open and peeled under normal use. This was a few months back. We peeled that off and were going to put electrical tape, but haven't yet. This morning it melted noticeably and threw a circuit breaker. Maybe it's been melting all along and we haven't noticed. What's going on? This is a huge hazard. Has Apple solved this? What to do? Cables shouldn't melt. Cables shouldn't crack under normal use. It's a $32 cable that should not have cracked and peeled in the first place! This IMHO is a serious flaw in the cable itself. I have seen where others have had this issue with phone chargers, that's why I posted under Ipad. Is this a known issue and is there a solution from Apple. I don't want a new $32 cable that's going to do the same thing!

User uploaded file

iPad Pro, iOS 9, null

Posted on Sep 19, 2017 6:33 PM

2 replies

Sep 19, 2017 6:37 PM in response to A Cortez

If the cable cracks open and peels, you should stop using it. I don’t think it’s a good idea to keep using it uncovered and wait for it to melt.

Apple would probably suggest you buy a new one from them, but if it’s too pricey for you (I haven’t looked at what they’re charging, I’m just guessing based on how you handled your damaged cable) it’s like $10 for 3 cables on Amazon. Don’t take chances like these!

lightening cable melted while charging ipad pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.