Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade: i5 to i7 Processor, or 8 GB to 16 GB RAM?

Hello, so currently I have a Macbook Pro from 2014 running iOS 10.12.6, and here are its current specs:

Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I'm going to be upgrading to a new laptop for school, so here are the choices that I have:

2.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz

with

16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory

OR

2.5GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz

with

8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory

So basically, what I need help deciding, is should I upgrade from i5 to i7 processor, or 8 GB to 16 GB?

What I will mostly be using my computer for is school stuff, so running multiple tabs/programs at once probably (which if I think right, that would be RAM). For example, being on Skype, with Chrome in the background, playing while playing a game or editing a video. I'm a communications major, so I'm not in any major that requires certain programs like engineering.

But then at the same time, I do edit videos with Final Cut Pro as a hobby, but the editing is nothing crazy and mostly basic. The most intensive thing I've done is import large raw video files (like 50 hours worth of video total), and speed it up for a drawing time lapse. However, my current laptop wouldn't be able to handle that, so I imported videos in 3 hour segments, sped those up, saved them as smaller .mp4 files, and then compiled all the small mp4 files together. I really didn't mind the process all too much if it means saving a few hundred dollars in upgrades. I'm not making short movies or anything like, but just standard videos you'd see on youtube with basic editing, maybe some voice-over and some simple effects.

I also do draw on photoshop, and create things using photoshop, which does slow down sometimes as well, especially with larger projects.

I also do play some computer games, but it's not something I do often at all. Right now, the only game I have is Minecraft haha.

So I'm looking for something that could handle my school work, my basic video editing and photoshop use, and handling me in general lol. I know in an ideal world I'd have more RAM and a better CPU, but my budget doesn't allow for that, unfortunately. In the end, I'm wondering if I would even NEED to upgrade either? Or would I be fine with the 8 GB and i5 processor? I'm guessing I would see an improvement regardless, since my current laptop is 3 years old. I'm also concerned about whether the i5 processor will become "too old" in these coming years as better CPU's are being released? But also am taking into account that an i7 processor would take up more battery life, and with college portability is important.

So sorry for the ridiculous amount of questions, but if you could help me out I would be soooooo grateful. Thank you all very much.

Posted on Sep 19, 2017 9:01 PM

6 replies

Sep 20, 2017 11:47 AM in response to alex7375

The laptop's primary purpose would be for my net 3 years of college, so portability and battery life is pretty important to me, which is why I'd be going for the 13 inch. But that is true, if I were to upgrade CPU it'd probably be wiser to upgrade to quad-core than dual-core, so maybe if I stick with the 13 inch I'd leave the CPU as is.

Right now I'm already going for the 256 SSD, but I could look into the 512 one instead of upgrading RAM.

Sep 20, 2017 12:12 PM in response to missjantastic

if you expect to edit Videos, you will need a larger screen and a quad-core processor. But any of these models will support one additional external display, which you use at the same time (do not shut off the MacBook display). In a pinch (including budget pinch) you can use an HDMI TV (at least 1920 by 1080p) as your external screen.

Sep 20, 2017 12:19 PM in response to missjantastic

120gb SSD is fine for most people who just use basic apple apps and save docs and photos.

256gb SSD is better.

512gb SSD is good if you plan on running dual boot bootcamp MacOS / MS-Windows.

1tb SSD if you plan on saving large files like Videos, Software packages, Music.

You can also use an external USB drive or Hard-drive for backups and saving files.

Upgrade: i5 to i7 Processor, or 8 GB to 16 GB RAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.