Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 11 update phone freezing

Hi, I updated to ios 11 on my 64GB iPhone 6s without any issues. But since doing so my phone has stopped working 3 times. The problem is that the phone freezes and I can't press any apps or open app switcher, it's just dead. I have to do a force restart to get back up running again.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 2:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 12:58 PM

Exact same issue... Wasn't immediate after update, just started a day or two ago. I've had to hard reset 3-4 times now. Several otherwise reliable apps open very slow or more often crash without opening

390 replies

Sep 22, 2017 6:15 PM in response to andyk105

Same thing happening to my iPhone 6 Plus after updating to iOS 11. Basically it hangs on a black screen a few times a day, eventually you may see a small spinning icon in the middle of the screen then after a minute or two it comes back on. Took some video of it the last time it happened.

Also having intermittent problems with my Bluetooth earphones as well after updating. Wondering if it’s related... :-(.

Sep 23, 2017 11:23 AM in response to andyk105

andyk105 wrote:

Hi, I updated to ios 11 on my 64GB iPhone 6s without any issues. But since doing so my phone has stopped working 3 times. The problem is that the phone freezes and I can't press any apps or open app switcher, it's just dead. I have to do a force restart to get back up running again.

Connect the phone to iTunes, back it up, then restore iOS using iTunes.

Sep 28, 2017 7:53 AM in response to andyk105

Same problem here, since day one of update to ios11, my phone (iphone 7 128gb) keeps freezing at least 5 times a day with normal use. It’s really annoying, can’t even make phone calls. Other thing is that i can’t change the volume with the buttons and need to restart or force restart to make them work.

Really worst update in iphone history. I’m really dissapointed.

Oct 7, 2017 9:20 AM in response to arturbikbaev

Guys ! I have The solution on this problem 😀

My phone is back to normal again🙂 i tried nearly everything .

Delete phone reload icloud did’nt fix it 😒

Delete phone Through apple configurator 2 did’nt fix it 😒

But then i noticed the problem was showing at most when i use Tinder 😂 so uninstall tinder and boom problem fixed ! I also tried to install tinder again and phone is still good and with no errors 😀 so guys uninstall Tinder 😄 Maybe other Apps Will do the same , but for me it was Tinder

Oct 7, 2017 9:40 AM in response to andyk105

It looks like I might have a solution. I think it is a problem with Location Services. I noticed the problem was happening with apps which accessed location frequently, so I tried settings>General>Reset Location & Privacy Settings. Since doing so I haven’t had a freeze in 24hrs. You re-authorise apps as and when. I don’t think it’s one particular app that causes the issue, just when lots of apps access the location services. Let me know if it works for you

Oct 10, 2017 1:37 PM in response to andyk105

I also have had this problem. I have an iPhone7 and this problem did not occur until I updated to 11.02. The phone's will randomly freeze with neither the home button nor the power button being responsive. The only thing that will make it work again is a force restart, but it only works until the phone decides to freeze up again. I do not know why this is happening, but I have had to restart my phone five times today and had to do the same thing several times yesterday too. This needs to be fixed.

Sep 30, 2017 10:13 AM in response to Ignaciopvx

Apple isn't here to see everyone's posts. You need to go here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple

This isn't global, I have a high end phone and I'm not having the issues you are seeing so include as much data as possible in your feedback as well as what troubleshooting steps you have taken.

I'm glad you never had any issues with updates but I find that hard to believe since iPhone OS 2 and iOS 3 bother had interim updates that caused battery issues on every phone and an update had to be rushed out. Maybe you skipped those updates.

Sep 30, 2017 1:42 PM in response to Arthur Busbey

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

One that frequently helps after an update is to kill all processes, then restart the phone. This is non-destructive; it will eliminate the possibility that there is a "stuck" app.

• Double-press the HOME button to display the quick-launch screen
  • Swipe up on each screen image to kill each app
  • When there is nothing left except the Home screen image, double-press the home button
  • Hold the SLEEP button until "Slide to power off" appears, and do so
  • Wait about 1 minute, then restart the phone by holding the SLEEP button until an Apple logo appears.

Sep 30, 2017 2:25 PM in response to OmidKashan

OmidKashan wrote:

Same issue. iPhone SE less than a year old. Not acceptable to have to do a factory reset. I have to hard reset 3-4 times a day. It seems to *really* dislike following links that open other apps - for example clicking someones profile link in instagram.

You have several options:

• Troubleshoot the problem, which may or may not require a factory reset.
  • Live with it
  • Throw the phone away.

That's about the limit of your choices. If it is truly not acceptable to have to troubleshoot it, you might as well throw it away. There are no other solutions.

Oct 7, 2017 4:53 AM in response to mikefromloganville

Some IPhone 6S Plus models have Samsung chips as well. You may want to use the Geekbench app in order to know the exact chip model you have in your iPhone. If you have N66AP then it’s samsung as well.

For your reference:

iPhone 6s – Model N71AP – Samsung A9

• iPhone 6s – Model N71mAP – TSMC A9
  • iPhone 6s Plus – Model N66AP – Samsung A9
  • iPhone 6s Plus – Model N66mAP – TSMC A9

ios 11 update phone freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.