Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11 password screen

iPhone 6+ Upon updating to iOS 11, the screen where you enter your password no longer has any contrast - everything is in shades of light gray. My wife's 6S looks normal after the update. I cannot find any Setting to change this.

User uploaded file

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 6:37 AM

8 replies

Sep 21, 2017 5:53 AM in response to smpitman

Hi smpitman ,

I understand that the lock screen of your iPhone seems to have very low contrast after updating to iOS 11. I'm happy to provide some help for this.

It is normal for the text on this screen to be white. Based on the image that you've shared, it seems that your Lock screen has a grey background. Check out the steps in the following article to see how to change your iPhone wallpaper:

Change your iPhone wallpaper - Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Oct 8, 2017 3:23 PM in response to smpitman

I have a 5s. Same problem. I discovered that the transparency setting seems to relate to the background of the lock screen. If the lockscreen background is white, the passcode screen has less contrast EVEN IF transparency is off. I resolved the issue by taking a photo of a black blanket and using it as the lock screen wallpaper. Now the passcode screen is jet black with bright white numbers. By the way, the phone senses the black screen and displays the day and date as white.

Oct 17, 2017 8:19 PM in response to EmmettKaz

This worked great on my iPhone 6. Thanks for working it out and posting it. The bigger question is why the Passcode/Unlock screen is now so light in the first place. No one at Apple check this out before release ? Things like this that seem so simple but go awry and cost the user some time to overcome after a major update are why the competitor gets more business

iOS 11 password screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.