Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does 4MEM/60/40000000: 0x8495d198 error mean?

Hello,

My machine does not start up and starts heating up and displays a white screen. I have tried all various boot/recovery options.

I got the error in memory module while running hardware diagnostics on my MBP (Early 2011 8,2)

4MEM/60/40000000: 0x8495d198

I have 16 (2 x 8) GB RAM modules installed. Do I need to change one of them?

Also, can I put in 32 (2 x 16) GB modules ? I understand that they are not officially supported.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 3:55 PM

You could try reseating them first, and run the test again. It's a pain, since you have to keep opening your laptop to test. It might be safer to just replace the failed piece. 16GB (2 x 8GB) is unfortunately the maximum.

6 replies

Sep 20, 2017 3:55 PM in response to PLfromLondon

Hi,

It may be a RAM issue or an issue with one or both of the slots, or the logic board. You can "test" the RAM and slots.

If you have replaced the original RAM, it is best to reinstall it for test purposes. The RAM is mounted in two slots. To test out one RAM module at a time and one slot at a time, remove one of the modules and try running your Mac. If the issue is gone, then the other RAM module or slot is bad. If the issue persists, move the module to the other slot and trying running again. Repeat this process for the other module. In this way you should be able to identify whether it's one/both of the RAM modules or one/both of the RAM slots.

What does 4MEM/60/40000000: 0x8495d198 error mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.