Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan dmg download

Does anybody know where I cound download an El Capitan dmg? The app store has unfortunately taken it out. All the Links that refer to the app store don't work anymore. So is there an archive for all the pevious OSX versions?

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 10:14 AM

So is there an archive for all the pevious OSX versions?

No.

If you downloaded El Capitan from the App Store before Sierra became available, you can still reinstall El Capitan from the App Store.

Unhide Mac apps

1. On your Mac, open the App Store. If you're not already signed in, from the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose Store > Sign In, then enter your Apple ID and password.
  2. From the menu at the top of your computer screen, choose Store > View My Account.
  3. If prompted, enter your Apple ID and password.
  4. On the Account Information page, scroll to Hidden Items. To the right of Hidden Purchases, click Manage.
  5. Find the app that you want to unhide.
  6. Click Unhide, then click Done.
17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2017 10:14 AM in response to trydaily

So is there an archive for all the pevious OSX versions?

No.

If you downloaded El Capitan from the App Store before Sierra became available, you can still reinstall El Capitan from the App Store.

Unhide Mac apps

1. On your Mac, open the App Store. If you're not already signed in, from the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose Store > Sign In, then enter your Apple ID and password.
  2. From the menu at the top of your computer screen, choose Store > View My Account.
  3. If prompted, enter your Apple ID and password.
  4. On the Account Information page, scroll to Hidden Items. To the right of Hidden Purchases, click Manage.
  5. Find the app that you want to unhide.
  6. Click Unhide, then click Done.

Sep 20, 2017 8:15 PM in response to trydaily

trydaily wrote:

My MacBook Pro is from 2012 so Sierra wound be slowing it down too much.

And why would you say this?

Compare:

MacOS Sierra - Technical Specifications

OS X El Capitan - Technical Specifications

On Sept 25th High Sierra will be released and Sierra will no longer show up in App Store. You are better off downloading the OS—to get it in your list of Purchases—even if you do not install it. You can always make a bootable installer SD card or USB stick, with the createinstallmedia command, for later use.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), macOS (10.12.6), i7 480GB SSD 16GB RAM

Sep 20, 2017 10:22 AM in response to trydaily

If you download ElCapitan it is not a dmg file: it is called "Install OS X El Capitan 10.11.6" and sitting in the Applications folder.

If you can not find it in the Purchased folder of your Appstore, you can ask somebody else to download it if he has it or had it before on his mac, then copy the downloaded Install file in his Applications folder and put it in your Applications folder.

Sep 20, 2017 7:51 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the quick response Tesserax.

Unfortunately I haven't "purchased" OS X El Capitan from the Apple App Store. Due to the use of several programs it wasn't worth upgrading earlier. But now I reached the point where I want to upgrade. My MacBook Pro is from 2012 so Sierra wound be slowing it down too much. Any idea where i could get El Capitan from?

Sep 20, 2017 11:33 PM in response to leroydouglas

All the extra features take your performance. My Macbook Pro is still doing well with Mavericks but with Sierra it's too much. You can read about user experience on all differnt blogs. They all say the same. That's why I want El Capitan.

I didn't expect Apple to turn off the downloads of previous OSX versions. That's disappointing. I thought their support wound would offer that. Why are they so strict about it? Wasn't El Capitan somthing they can be proud of?

I will download Sierra now anyway. Just so I have it.

Still trying to find a download of El Capitan outside the Apple world. That's so sad to say.

Sep 21, 2017 1:24 AM in response to trydaily

I have several MBPs of 2009 to 2016 by myself and in the family, all have had each OS upgrade, and are now on Sierra, all are more efficient and even a bit faster (when we notice) with Sierra.

Now I know that a few MBPs are not a good statistic, but what I know about the OSs is that Sierra is very efficient and fast.

What can be a drag in older MBPs is the amount of Ram (should be 4GB at least, 8GB is recommended), and free space on the disk (8GB free as an absolute minimum on a HDD, and 25-35GB free on a SSD).

Sep 21, 2017 7:09 AM in response to trydaily

You have been informed that El Capitan is no longer available to you from Apple. Your Mac is upgradeable to Sierra, and does not qualify for the El Capitan link for those whose hardware is not Sierra compatible.

You are also offering the bait of a private email in hopes that someone will contact you, and then upload the full El Capitan Installer to you. That is explicitly against the OS X licensing agreement, and the terms of this site.

No means no.

Sep 21, 2017 4:35 PM in response to VikingOSX

Hello VikingOSX,

Your name indicates you are an expert in OSX. Seems like you're no expert in reading my intentions! I'm trying to find help in the community to download El Capitan as unfortunately Apple does not offer it anymore. Saying I am baiting people to contact me is simply rude, and absolutly false!

But thank you for reminding ecerybody of the terms of this site.

El Capitan dmg download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.