Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sapphire Crystal OR Ion-X glass

Hello All, I've seen comparisons between Sapphire crystal and Ion-X glass but they seem to center on 1st generation watches. I plan to use my new Apple Watch Series 3 outdoors often and wonder if there really is a difference or would I be happier with one over the other in bright sunlight. So, what say you - Sapphire crystal OR Ion-X glass?

Watch Series 3 (GPS+Cell) (Alum) 42MM, watchOS 4

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 7:47 AM

3 replies

Sep 21, 2017 1:02 AM in response to scottfromcedar hill

I have a original Apple Watch sapphire, not a scratch on it. With the brighter OLED on the newer ones I’m sure you will be able to see the watch without any issues outside. If I compare mine to my girlfriends Series 2, hers is much brighter.

The salhire will be more scratch resistan, but can also be a little more brittle being a crystal. I haven’t had any issues myself, if you one to bang your wrist into tress on an outdoor hike then turn the watch around so the Face is on the inside of the wrist between your leg and arm adding protection. If you drop it the sapphire might break before the glass one, but will also scratch more. It’s a trade off really. I just refuse to use after market bands like from amazon, read the reviews and people talk about the $12 band breaking. Not worth breaking the sapphire crystal for a cheap band, or scratching and possibly breaking the glass screen also in my opinion.

I hope this helps.

Sapphire Crystal OR Ion-X glass

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.