Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No HEIF option iPhone 6s and ios 11

iPhone 6s running ios 11

Photos are still being taken in jpeg.

Under settings>Camera, there is no format submenu available. Have restarted many times.

Anyone else have this issue?

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 9:45 AM

That's curious since I just watched a YouTube video where they were comparing IOS 11 vs. IOS 10.3.3 on an iPhone 6S Plus.

They clearly showed that the photos occupied less space using the HEIF format. Again, using identical iPhone 6, 6S, & 7 phones with identical configurations regarding Apps, photos, etc.

User uploaded file

My iPhone 6S Plus runnning IOS 11.0.1 does not have the option "settings > Camera > Formats" .

As a programmer for many decades I will testify that claiming hardware difference as the reason this feature requires an iPhone 7 or newer is a lie. Even an iPhone 3 would be capable of converting to or saving as HEIF format if it were so programmed.

This is nothing but Apples disgusting planned and forced obsolescence. Apple has ALWAYS abused its customers. I'd still be using my iPhone 4 if it were not for Apple intentionally forcing IOS application programmers to use newer IOS versions and then making those version unavailable to older phones. I lost 25 apps from my iPhone 6S Plus just because of the upgrade from 10.3.3 to 11. These apps worked fine on this phone last week. There is no good reason they could not have continued operating. I wrote an iPhone App which uses really only basic programming calls that could have and should have been available since IOS 4 or earlier even. I fully suspect that Apple will pull some shenanigans in the next few years that forces me to rewrite my app.

There are two reasons Apple is such a wealthy entity. 1. They do make a good product. 2. They reach into your pockets once they have you and screw up the product they sold you so they can pull more cash out.

Unless you play games which require faster and more capable processors, or if you need a new hardware element, such as fingerprint reader, NFC, Camera, etc., there should be no reason you apps can't run for the next 20 years or more. With the newer and more powerful phones it would be a cinch to build in backwards compatibility. FFS, we have emulators running on Windows 10 that can run the same exact code that ran in 1970's arcade games.

Again, it's a planned and immoral smack in the face of their customers that they chose to essentially stick a gun to your head to update. I had to upgrade my iPhone 4 solely because my Banking app would no longer run. in long conversations with the Bank of America programmers I was told that their arms were twisted by Apple forcing them to use the new IOS versions, which Apple did not support on my iPhone 4.

<Edited by Host>

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2017 9:45 AM in response to RonEdwards

That's curious since I just watched a YouTube video where they were comparing IOS 11 vs. IOS 10.3.3 on an iPhone 6S Plus.

They clearly showed that the photos occupied less space using the HEIF format. Again, using identical iPhone 6, 6S, & 7 phones with identical configurations regarding Apps, photos, etc.

User uploaded file

My iPhone 6S Plus runnning IOS 11.0.1 does not have the option "settings > Camera > Formats" .

As a programmer for many decades I will testify that claiming hardware difference as the reason this feature requires an iPhone 7 or newer is a lie. Even an iPhone 3 would be capable of converting to or saving as HEIF format if it were so programmed.

This is nothing but Apples disgusting planned and forced obsolescence. Apple has ALWAYS abused its customers. I'd still be using my iPhone 4 if it were not for Apple intentionally forcing IOS application programmers to use newer IOS versions and then making those version unavailable to older phones. I lost 25 apps from my iPhone 6S Plus just because of the upgrade from 10.3.3 to 11. These apps worked fine on this phone last week. There is no good reason they could not have continued operating. I wrote an iPhone App which uses really only basic programming calls that could have and should have been available since IOS 4 or earlier even. I fully suspect that Apple will pull some shenanigans in the next few years that forces me to rewrite my app.

There are two reasons Apple is such a wealthy entity. 1. They do make a good product. 2. They reach into your pockets once they have you and screw up the product they sold you so they can pull more cash out.

Unless you play games which require faster and more capable processors, or if you need a new hardware element, such as fingerprint reader, NFC, Camera, etc., there should be no reason you apps can't run for the next 20 years or more. With the newer and more powerful phones it would be a cinch to build in backwards compatibility. FFS, we have emulators running on Windows 10 that can run the same exact code that ran in 1970's arcade games.

Again, it's a planned and immoral smack in the face of their customers that they chose to essentially stick a gun to your head to update. I had to upgrade my iPhone 4 solely because my Banking app would no longer run. in long conversations with the Bank of America programmers I was told that their arms were twisted by Apple forcing them to use the new IOS versions, which Apple did not support on my iPhone 4.

<Edited by Host>

Sep 28, 2017 10:50 PM in response to marrlin

Have a look at this support document by Apple: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Your iPhone 6s can work with HEIF and HEVC, but the Camera does not create these media in these formats.

When using iOS 11, the following devices can capture media in HEIF or HEVC format:

Other devices using iOS 11 or macOS High Sierra can view, edit, or duplicate HEIF and HEVC media, with some limitations.

You can use HEVC on your iPhone, if you convert the videos on a Mac with High Sierra. I simply used the QuickTime Player on my MacBookPro and exported some of the larger 4k videos to HEVC and synced them to try iPhone 5s. They are playing well on the older model.

Sep 20, 2017 7:55 PM in response to marrlin

If you’re not using an iPhone 7 or later, or the latest generation of iPad Pro models, your device/s won’t capture photos or videos using this new format. If you do have a new model, you can choose how to handle these formats via different settings in the Settings app. (And iOS 11 doesn’t dig back through your archive and re-encode your old files in these new formats.)

Dec 3, 2017 10:50 AM in response to RonEdwards

If that was true, why does every other app doesn’t see any new photos (taken after ios 11 upgrade)? And why is the camera app so slow to click a picture?

Just coz the developers claim something doesn’t mean they got it right. I’m a developer. I know how deadlines can screw up the best of intentions.

tl;dr this is another apple f up or a ploy to force ppl to upgrade. You can close your eyes and pretend otherwise.

No HEIF option iPhone 6s and ios 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.