Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Configurator 2

I have a cart of 30 iPads (iPad2's running 9.3.5). I am trying to Prepare them so I can Supervise and add profiles, apps, etc. Everything works OK for 18 of the 30... On the remaining 12, I cant Prepare them.I keep getting this error message:

Failed to create activation request. [com.apple.MobileActivation.ErrorDomain – 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFE (-2) [sys = 0x3F, sub = 0xFFF, code = 0x3FFE (16382)]]

I've tried Erasing and Reviving and individually erasing and restoring through Itunes. Any ideas?

Also, I have noticed after I successfully prepared the iPads and added apps, etc. on the first use of installed programs, it asks for the Apple ID and password. It seems to force me to individually login on every iPad. Anyway to avoid this?

null-OTHER, iOS 9.3.5, Apple Configurator

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 11:11 PM

I've been having a similar issue but using iPod Touch 5th Gen. From my testing so far, right after activating the device on Wi-Fi then I could Prepare the device through Apple Configurator 2, and then everything else.

Say for example, you have a new device OR a newly formatted device. Go through the "Hello" screen > Select your Language > Choose a Wi-Fi Network > select Wi-Fi & enter password & next > let device activate. Right after the activation you can go into Apple Configurator 2 and Prepare the device and etc.

To get things rolling I think that is the quick and dirty solution. Downside is you have to do it for all devices.

Well hope that helps.

I hope there is a fix for this or patch for this issue. I would think the activation can automatically be done while Preparing via Apple Configurator 2 (assuming the macOS device is connected to the internet).

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2017 11:11 PM in response to school.quest

I've been having a similar issue but using iPod Touch 5th Gen. From my testing so far, right after activating the device on Wi-Fi then I could Prepare the device through Apple Configurator 2, and then everything else.

Say for example, you have a new device OR a newly formatted device. Go through the "Hello" screen > Select your Language > Choose a Wi-Fi Network > select Wi-Fi & enter password & next > let device activate. Right after the activation you can go into Apple Configurator 2 and Prepare the device and etc.

To get things rolling I think that is the quick and dirty solution. Downside is you have to do it for all devices.

Well hope that helps.

I hope there is a fix for this or patch for this issue. I would think the activation can automatically be done while Preparing via Apple Configurator 2 (assuming the macOS device is connected to the internet).

Oct 6, 2017 2:54 AM in response to school.quest

Yep, having the exact same issue here, contacted Apple Support and they suggested updating the OS to HS and update conf2 to latest version but that didn't help. Next thing they advised was to try it on a different network since something may be blocking conf2 to connect to the activation servers.

Will be trying that out today and will post the update...

Oct 19, 2017 7:40 PM in response to lapageps

I had this problem too. High Sierra/AC 2.5. I followed the workaround of resetting the iPad (Erase all Content and Settings) and then manually configuring the iPad (from the Hello screen) to the point (right after setting up the network) where it activates the record.

No luck. Same error.

What I had to do is completely delete Apple Configurator from my MacBook. I then created an account on the MacBook that only will be used for iPad Configuration. (this step may not be needed) And then logging into that account and installing Apple Configurator again. (and, yes, re-doing the Blueprints).

That worked for me.

Dec 14, 2017 3:54 AM in response to school.quest

Ok so after reading these posts I reinstalled configurator 2.5 and created new blueprints. This worked for the first iPad but when i tried to apply the blueprint to the next iPad it was back to square one with the "Failed to create activation request". I do not have the time or the patience to reinstall everything for every iPad I need to do (87 in all). This issue has been happening from as far back a 2007 (Posts with the same issues) and apple still haven't sorted it. Now I know why I can't stand apple devices.

Anyone got a fix for this as contacting apple is a waste of time.

thanks

Jan 10, 2018 3:05 PM in response to school.quest

Ok, I am having the exact same problem with the same message...only sporadically! This morning I used AC2 to successfully do 14 iPad2's, then had this problem with the 15th one! I've tried everything I can think of (and everything suggested by others. Tried several times throughout today.

Now, here's a "new" one on my last attempt....never have seen this message in AC2 before....

"The OS install could not be authorized for this device. The build may not be approved for production installs."

Jan 31, 2018 7:28 AM in response to terry.crs

Hi ,

may have found a solution , all the iPads here were old iPad 2 i think with iOS 9

Mac OSx Sierra and AC2 ( which is irrelevant i think )

the problem seems to be the full activation record is not getting to apple , its says the iPad is activated when you got through the steps on the iPad and it allows you to use it , but all the info doesn't seem to get to APPLE

Workaround......

I activated the iPad manually through the iPad wizard through a hotspot on my phone after a full wipe

when Apple configurator then looks for the activation record on Apples servers it finds it correctly , a mobile phone seems to have the least chance of a firewall or something on the network stripping out some part of the activation record

, another 30 left here to verify if this fully works but pass on to the rest of the contributors or OP

Jan 31, 2018 7:29 AM in response to ballymageefrombangor

Hi ,

may have found a solution , all the iPads here were old iPad 2 i think with iOS 9

Mac OSx Sierra and AC2 ( which is irrelevant i think )

the problem seems to be the full activation record is not getting to apple , its says the iPad is activated when you got through the steps on the iPad and it allows you to use it , but all the info doesn't seem to get to APPLE

Workaround......

I activated the iPad manually through the iPad wizard through a hotspot on my phone after a full wipe

when Apple configurator then looks for the activation record on Apples servers it finds it correctly , a mobile phone seems to have the least chance of a firewall or something on the network stripping out some part of the activation record

, another 30 left here to verify if this fully works but pass on to the rest of the contributors or OP

Apple Configurator 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.