Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change default apps for iOS 11 Files app?

I’ve been using iOS11 today, and have been repeatly having the same issue with the new Files app. When I try to open something (for example a .docx or .ppt), the file opens up in Google Drive. which makes no sense? I have the Office apps installed, so why aren’t these the default apps for these files? Is there anyway to change this?

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 7:03 PM

Hi. Do you see the Office apps in the On my iPhone section of Files? If not, they may not yet be integrated with Files, and you need Microsoft to update them. You should still be able to select the correct app by using the Sharing icon.

8 replies

Sep 23, 2017 4:19 AM in response to drewonfire

I have the same problem but I think the bug goes deeper and is a GoogleDrive problem. If I attempt to open any .doc, .docx or .txt file from DropBox or OneDrive in OS11 Files App on my iPad (iPad Air, 64MB) then Google Drive hijacks the request and insists on saving the file to GoogleDrive. If you hit "Cancel" then Google goes away but your file doesn't open. If you hit "save" then the file is uploaded to GoogleDrive but STILL doesn't open. Basically, GoogleDrive is hijacking and killing the Files App for all locations other than iCloud.

I tried disabling GoogleDrive in Files but Google still butts in and kills the "open" request. You have to actually uninstall GoogleDrive to get Files to work properly

(I haven't tried this with .xslx files or .pptx files because life is too short to waste it analysing Google's bugs for them.)

Sep 28, 2017 12:42 PM in response to drewonfire

I was also having this problem. When I used the share function to “copy to Microsoft Excel“ and then went back into the Files app, then the Excel document would open natively within Files. Basically it looks like it used to on the iCloud Drive app.

So maybe you have to open a document with Microsoft Excel to get the association or plug-in re-registered? That’s what it seems like.

Oct 18, 2017 9:18 AM in response to drewonfire

Same issue, but with some added detail: The Google Drive 'location' (within the Files App) hijacks all MS Office files. I have tried to open .xlsx, .docx, and .pptx files that I have saved in OneDrive and in DropBox, and if I try to open them from the iOS11 Files App, Google Drive hijacks them and asks if I want to Save to the Google Drive location (I don't want to do that - but the reality is that it actually won't save it there even if I try). I have had numerous calls with Apple, and have numerous exchanges with MS support, and the problem appears to be a Google Drive problem and how it handles certain file types. I am ****** that Apple is allowing this to continue because by allowing it they are allowing Google to negatively impact OneDrive and Dropbox users (possibly other cloud services as well). Google has no incentive to fix this because the Google Drive location files open fine! - Apple needs to step in with this. I would delete Google Drive if I could, but I can't because I am forced to use it for work purposes.

Nov 6, 2017 8:41 AM in response to drewonfire

FWIW - I updated to iOS 11.1 and the problem no longer occurs. I went back and verified that there have been no GoogleDrive updates since the last time it was not working for me. There have been several OneDrive updates though. I am left with the conclusion that the problem was an Apple issue with the Files App, and was not actually a GoogleDrive issue after all. Regardless, with 11.1 the Files App now works as I have always understood that it should.

Change default apps for iOS 11 Files app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.