Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are my iMessages sending green to another iPhone

I have a 7 plus iPhone so why are my messages to another iPhone going in green

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 7:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 7:55 PM

In order for a message to be sent as an iMessage, both parties must be logged into iMessage and both parties must have an active data connection. So, if your friend doesn't have a data connection (happens to me when I'm underground on public transit), the message might still go through but as an SMS, which doesn't require a data connection.

If the person has an intermittent data connection, iMessage isn't always very graceful about switching back and forth so, sometimes, even if the person is once again connected to data, the message may still go as SMS for a while. People who have extremely intermittent data access are often better off staying with SMS

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2017 7:55 PM in response to jarvie55

In order for a message to be sent as an iMessage, both parties must be logged into iMessage and both parties must have an active data connection. So, if your friend doesn't have a data connection (happens to me when I'm underground on public transit), the message might still go through but as an SMS, which doesn't require a data connection.

If the person has an intermittent data connection, iMessage isn't always very graceful about switching back and forth so, sometimes, even if the person is once again connected to data, the message may still go as SMS for a while. People who have extremely intermittent data access are often better off staying with SMS

Sep 20, 2017 7:48 PM in response to jarvie55

Are you certain that the iMessage button is turned on under Settings>Messages on your device? Here are some other suggestions:

If you see a green message bubble

If you see a green message bubble instead of a blue one, then that message was sent using MMS/SMS instead of iMessage. There are several reasons for this:

• The person that you sent the message to doesn't have an Apple device.
  • iMessage is turned off on your device or on your recipient’s device. To check if iMessage is turned on for your device, go to Settings > Messages > iMessage.
  • iMessage is temporarily unavailable on your device or on your recipient’s device.

Learn the difference between iMessage and MMS/SMS messages.

User uploaded file

This is the support article that the info above is from: If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Cheers,

GB

Why are my iMessages sending green to another iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.