Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading older app versions

I own an older iPhone (4) that cannot update past iOS 7.1.2.

This has worked fine for me. I cannot install the latest versions of most apps, but I could still use older versions of apps on it. To install older versions of apps, I would use my desktop computer (running Windows) to open iTunes and find the apps I want in the App Store. I then added them to my list of "Purchased" apps, and then I could then login to the App Store on my iPhone and download them from there. It would then offer me a download for the latest compatible version of the app (as long as it was downloaded from my "Purchased" list).

This all changed recently. iTunes has been overhauled so that it no longer allows you to browse for apps, and I no longer have a way to add apps to my list of "Purchased" apps. Every app I try to download on the App Store that isn't on my "Purchased" apps list will not offer a download for the latest compatible version of the app. It simply gives an error (as shown in attached screenshot) saying I must update to a later version of iOS.

User uploaded file

In summary, iTunes removing functionality for apps seems to have left anyone owning an older iOS device without the ability to download legacy versions of any iOS apps.

The only solution that I can think of would be to login to the App Store on a newer iOS 11 device and add apps to my "Purchased" apps list, but that would likely require me buying a whole new device (something I cannot afford). That's not really a real fix, as then there would be no reason for me to use my iPhone 4.

Does anyone know of another workaround for getting older versions of iOS apps?

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 10:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 10:31 PM

Starting with iOS 11, which was released Sept. 19, 2017, 32-bit applications no longer run.

Your iPhone 4, which cannot proceed past iOS 71.2, uses 32-bit applications.

I believe the App Store no longer supports 32-bit applications, even for those older machines that must rely on them (iPhone 5 and earlier).

This article may provide further insight:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/06/ios-11-32-bit-mac-app-store-64-bit/

So if you had the app already, you would be fine. But all App Store support for 32-bit apps is gone, I believe.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2017 10:31 PM in response to Bit10

Starting with iOS 11, which was released Sept. 19, 2017, 32-bit applications no longer run.

Your iPhone 4, which cannot proceed past iOS 71.2, uses 32-bit applications.

I believe the App Store no longer supports 32-bit applications, even for those older machines that must rely on them (iPhone 5 and earlier).

This article may provide further insight:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/06/ios-11-32-bit-mac-app-store-64-bit/

So if you had the app already, you would be fine. But all App Store support for 32-bit apps is gone, I believe.

Nov 4, 2017 1:45 PM in response to sberman

I agree. All support for iPhone4 is now gone. You used to be able to purchase the Apps through Itunes on your PC and then use the App store on your phone to go in and download the iPhone4 version of apps when available. Now you can't even access Apps on your ITunes if you update your Itunes. They dropped Apps off Itunes completely and can only get apps through your phone now. Bummer. It is how they make older versions obsolete and force people to upgrade to newer phones.

Dec 12, 2017 12:17 PM in response to Aleanor

32bit apps are still there. But you cannot purchase the app directly from the unsupported device. You have to log in to you app store account from a supported device (running the latest iOS), purchase the app and download its latest version. Then you can download older version of the same app from the old device using your AppleID. This does not make any sense but it works this way. Just verified with my daughter's iPhone 4 and my iPhone 6.

Downloading older app versions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.